am i the only single winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I grew up the saying is "You dont lose your wife, you just lose your turn"

cheers

52, married 19 years to my lovely wine taster, have been making wine/beer longer than that, no kids, 1 dog, 1 truck and SUV. Had the 97 ford since new and needed the SUV to get around in these crazy East Coast winters

Married Once - Together for 9.5 years, married 6.5 years
4 yr old daughter
7 yr old Chocolate Lab
6 yr old Yellow Lab
5 yr old Gordon Setter
2 Cats (that I don't like)
1000 Ringneck Pheasant
500 Chukar Partridge
4 Fish (daughters)
7 Carboys - Just picked up a 3 gal, two 5 gals, and a 6 gal this past weeked for $95!

Very appreciative of this forum for the last 6 months since I got into this!

oh heck...you raise pheasants....are these to hunt.....Paul..i see some pheasant dinners on the table.

Sell to anyone but mostly to hunt clubs.

This may be the last year we raise a couple thousand birds. Pens collapsed with snapped off posts in bad May snow. Spent all summer rebuilding only to have an end catch fire from the electric fence and then an ice storm in early December took the top nets down again. This year has been a lot more work than it has been worth!

Sell to anyone but mostly to hunt clubs.

This may be the last year we raise a couple thousand birds. Pens collapsed with snapped off posts in bad May snow. Spent all summer rebuilding only to have an end catch fire from the electric fence and then an ice storm in early December took the top nets down again. This year has been a lot more work than it has been worth!

What the heck kind of electric fencer you got that will catch something on fire? I use electric fencers all over the farm, never seen that.

Is it true that game-farmed quail will not survive if released into the wild to establish a population? Cotton farming around me a few years back completely wiped out the quail and I'd like to restock.

Been married 37 years (we dated for 4). Hate to think about where I would be withour her. We got 1 dog, 2 grown kids and only 4 carboys.

48, been married 24 yrs(easiest going /greatest going lady yah wanna meet) 3 kids ranging from 14 - 23 Yrs. About 8 carboys.

wordy..i had an electric horse fence...the desert grass would catch on fire when it called tall.
i bought 10 pairs of farm raised bob white quail 2 years ago. let them go.
didnt see any for about 18 mos...this summer when it got hot, they were coming to water...not sure how many ..but they have survived ...I hope to see more this spring...

been married 15 years this coming August to my best friend since the age of 5. We will both be 38 this spring.
2 girls - 1 age 8, 1 age 5
5 chickens no dogs no cats
1 - 4 wheel drive pickup and a sedan no suv
been on this weird wild wine ride for 3 yrs
14 carboys
On Wisconsin

Age 61 Married 31 years to a wonderful women
Two grown kids, 24 and 26
1 dog
About 30 white tails in back acres
Fiat and CRV
12 carboys

So James when you divorced your wife is she still your cousin?

Only on a wine making forum would I not be surprised to read this!:h

I'm 58, married for 31 years with two grown children (25 year old son and 21 year old daughter). We have one dog, a 2 year old Giant Schnauzer who guards my wine, and a hive of bees who live in the back yard (going to make some mead next summer). No truck or SUV, only a Civic and an Altima. I have four 6-gallon and two 3-gallon carboys. I've been making wine for about three and a half years.

I give em name tags....LOL

James, maybe if you threw away the used name tags instead of leaving them by the back door... just a thought

55, married for a total of 36 years. 3 years the first time, and 23 this time. (No, I didn't learn my lesson the first time I married him.) 3 grown & self sufficient daughters, 2 son-in-laws, 4 grandkids. 2 dogs, one 7 yr old SUV and a company truck.

Last edited:
What the heck kind of electric fencer you got that will catch something on fire? I use electric fencers all over the farm, never seen that.

Is it true that game-farmed quail will not survive if released into the wild to establish a population? Cotton farming around me a few years back completely wiped out the quail and I'd like to restock.

It was a 25 mile fencer encompassing 1/2 acre of pens. I ran two strands (one at 6" height and one at 12") of poly rope and it seems when it would touch grass, it would singe the grass off. Conditions must have been perfect to get that fire going, and then perfect to stop it before it took down everything.

I have heard the same for pheasant, everyone says stick your money into habitat. I agree but after you have the habitat, the birds have to come from somewhere. We'll see come spring. With the problems we had this year, I think about 500-600 birds got out with most of them hens. Although, its early and this winter I'm sure is going to be hard on them.

Forgot to mention...
I'm 33
Have a 97 Chevy Ext Cab (wood hauler)
08 Kia Sportage (wife's)
09 Chevy Crew Cab (my work truck)

52. 18 years married to a wonderful lady, 1 pickup, 1 Prius (only for gas mileage for wife's commute), just sold the SUV , 2 teen boys (15 & 14), 1 dog.
Life is good.

Ok, personal stuff, ok...

Married to first wife 16 years, two step-kids.
Ended very badly. Swore I'd never marry again.
Met my second wife during the 2 1/2 year divorce of my first.
She was going through a divorce as well. Swore she never would marry again.
After seven years dating we figured we may as well get married.
Got me three more step-kids.
Now, I've got like half a dozen (step) grand-kids.

Everyone's grown up and out now. Just me and her (plus one fat cat and two stupid dogs), and we love it!

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence, second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.:slp

It took me seven years of dating Johnna to even be able to talk about the possibility of marriage. At that point, I really had to give her the benfit of the doubt. Honestly, I really lucked out the second time around.

I not only love her, I like her a lot, too.

OK James " WTF were you thinking starting this thread?" That was the first thing that came to my mind. Well I have to tell you it's the very first one I go to and really enjoy it. OK even more when we're picking on you but I have to say you hit a home run on this one. As for myself 57 married 14 years and step daughter in grad school at Penn State. Two small dogs and 2 nothing special cars and a "95 Silverado (2wd) with 80,000 miles on it. 50 carboys +-2, a demi john, 15gal keg and about 30 1 gallon jugs. about 32 carboys are full along with the keg and demi john.

Latest posts

Back