All about heat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarch68

Junior
Reaction score
Ok now im getting in this a little deep now. Surprise!
I have a lot of different things working now and no real way to regulate the temp on more than a few carboys at a time. What do you do? I dont really want to try to heat the whole basement all winter.

J,

Look at a "brew belt".

These are basically a "heat tape" that wraps around a carboy or ferment vessel. They only use about 25 watts and willl keep a constant temperature, to a point!

Before it got 0F here, I was leaving my door open for the cats. I would come home and the rom temperature would be like 50, but the ferment bucket was maintaining 80F.

These aren't very expensive. Less than 20 bucks. Thats the way to go. For now. Before long you will either be building or converting a room to accomadate your new obsession!!!!

LOL!

Ok now im getting in this a little deep now. Surprise!
I have a lot of different things working now and no real way to regulate the temp on more than a few carboys at a time. What do you do? I dont really want to try to heat the whole basement all winter.

As stated by Troy, get a couple of brew belts. Keep the carboys up off of the cement floor as well.

I agree with the Brew Belts. I started out with one, and now I have four. When you're fermenting, you'll want the wine warm; when you're aging, you'll want it cool. The Brew Belts give you the flexibility to do both without heating (or cooling) the whole basement. Good Luck!!

I am not going to recommed this!

Carboys, especially those made of glass can be heavy. A ferment vessel is heavy as well and "slosshy"!

However, try to not only keep it off the floor, but, try to get it as high as you can. Like on top of a refrigerator, etc.

I DID NOT tell you to do this. But, if you do, be damn careful.

Enough said, badf things can hapen trying to move that much weight above your head. Thats why I say again, I don't recomend this!

Also consider a Better Bottle. They are made of a certain plastic that can be used for long time storage or aging and the alcohol wont permeate into it and have any adverse taste or chemical reactions. They are made out of plastic and are alot easier to handle. They come in a 3 and 5 gallon size.

well I have 1 brew belt & 5 - 5 gal. batches in primary & secondary active fermentation, plus 4-1gal. batches going. We have a 3rd bathroom in the basement so this time of the year I take it over & put in a small electric ceramic heater to keep the temp @ 70* the basement floor is 62* now which is where there is another 8 carboys aging. Our cabin is for sale & all the buyers want to know what I'm going to do with all that wine. They don't believe me when I say "I'm going to DRINK it!" Roy

Did Troy really say put a carboy on the refrigerator? He must be talking an dorm style thats about 3 feet high. LOL

I also use many Brew Belts. One of the coolest things I saw posted on here about a year ago was a large tote that held about four carboys. They added warm water to it and an aquarium heater or two to it. I think they even put a small circulating pump in it.

When I make starters for juice I will often times put the jar in a sink of hot water just to keep it warm until it's ready to add to the juce.

Well Roy,

I have to agree. Damn sure can't take it witt ya!

LOL

Hell you could farm fish at the same time.

Gotta love a bunny hugger like you Dan!! LOL

He could invite us all over and we can help him with his moving his wine

We could move the wine and he could fry the fish!
Works for everyone.

I like it. Get his address.
:slp

Im sorry I should have said that I do have a few brew belts but only one temp controler. Can your run them without a controler?

I go with Dan, just follow the instructions, they recommend tightening them up about halfway up the vessel, and plug them in.

I think it was Leanne who mentioned some sort of a heater for wine that was similar to that you would find in a fish tank.

Theres always a "weed burner" if all else fails!

LMFAO

Last edited:
Well I rearranged a few things and put a belt on one bucket alone. I have some insulation board somebody gave me, so if I can find some free time (there hasnt been much lately) im gonna build some kind of box with it.ill let your know how that works out when I get it done.

Latest posts

Back