alchohol content

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aavery55

Junior
Reaction score
How do I figure my alchohol content. I have searched and there are severl different calculations. Confused -

I use starting sg - finished sg x 134.1
In example 1.090 - .996 x 134.1 = 12.605 % abv

How do I figure my alchohol content. I have searched and there are severl different calculations. Confused -
Very true, and they basically provide a very similar number. Take a sample set of readings and try out the calculations.

EG continuing with Wade's example 1.090 and .996

1.090 - .996 x 134.1 = 12.605 % abv
1.090 - .996 x 133.0 = 12.502 % abv
1.090 - .996 / 7.46 = 12.600 % abv
Not much difference between these three.

Runningwolf's link produces
1.090 - .996 x 131.25 = 12.34 % abv 12.34%
ABV =(76.08 * (og-fg) / (1.775-og)) * (fg / 0.794) = 13.1%

Personally I don't like either of the formulae at this link, but it doesn't change the taste of the wine, just your perception of the alcohol content.

Steve

Damn Steve, I thought Algebra in college was tough!!!

I am just going to use my hydrometer and all of you in here to figure that out.

x(t)=fds(t)-z(s)-t

Solve for: T

The vinometer is very inaccurate especially if there is any resual sugar. Dont waste your money!

Thank you so much everyone - well it calcs out to 8 %. Had a little tasting with my brother and his friend - we all think it has great flavor, I think it has a bit of a burn on the way down, but tastes great!! Will probably bottle today. So excited this is my first wine. Can't wait to start the next one!!

Steve, there are several of those calculators around and that is just the first one I found. The chance of me making a mistake is far greater doing the math formula then using a calculator that already figures it out for you with a few numbers.

I use several different ones for sugar calculations and both of them will give me different addition amounts also. The difference is close enough though to run with either one.

Back