Air Lock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumby

Wine improves with age, I improve with wine
Reaction score
What liquid do you use to fill your air locks? I currently use my sulfite cleaning solution but I'm thinking about switching to vodka for long term aging. Thoughts, comments?

I use a double strength k-meta solution.

My thinking is that any air that might come into the carboy through the airlock will be sanitized by the k-meta.

That is not to say that the same thing would not happen if I were to use vodka, but my thinking is also that K-meta (and not vodka) is something that I normally add to wine during the aging process, so k-meta seems to be a better choice (at least to me).

Times 3, extra strength kmet. It has always been my believe that the alcohol in vodka evaporates faster than water especially with Gas stirring it up.

I use vodka, if a little get into it, it is going to be so diluted it will not affect the taste.

Most times a k-meta solution. Occasionally when I have overage I'll use some of the wine itself. My longest bulk aging is 3 months.

In terms of the chemistry of K-meta in solution. For how long does it produce SO2? I would have thought that after a day or two all the SO2 that was produced would have evaporated off: the airlock is open at the top. What is the benefit of having a solution of potassium in the airlock? Am I way off base here? I simply use water.

I tried Vodka out side, but the raccoons kept drinking it. Now I use waterless airlocks for cold stabilizing.

If I mix up a quart of sulfite solution for topping how long will it stay usable in sealed container?

Topping with sulfite solution???

97 days, 3 hours, and 15 minutes. Depending upon the container, how well it is sealed, and quality of the water.

wouldn't that also depend on whether you're located in the northern or southern hemisphere?

I use only the finest organic russian vodka. This liquid has been made from only the finest water running off from the Crimean Mountains, and only the finest ingredients, hand picked in Siberia and then walked to a factory for processing.

These bottles cost me more than my mortgage and college loan, combined. But it is worth it as nothing is too good for my carboys!
:b

I use glycerin. will not evaporate. will not hurt wine. IT will only add mouthfeel.

I drink vodka. I drink water. I do not drink kmeta.

topping of my air locks,,,

Got it.

The solution will last indefinitely in a non-reactive truly sealed container. It is a mineral/salt, that can't decompose any further. It needs to react with something.

In an airlock, the SO2 can easily escape (k-meta reaction with SO2), thus, over time, making the solution ineffective for sanitization purposes.

If topping up an airlock is your only use of k-meta, then I would follow mike's advice - drop a few grains of k-meta into the airlock every few weeks.

Back