Grandson took all my bungs out!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday (Dec 19), I discovered that my grandson (age 2), sneaked into the brew/wine room, on Sunday (Dec 17), and removed bungs from my carboys which were filled to the necks with ~2" airspace. They were exposed to the air for ~ 2 days. I immediately cleaned and refilled the airlocks or solid bungs. I have not tasted the wine, but....
Thoughts?

ditto, add omega, and reseal them. I've only had them pop off overnight, but should be ok.

in my experience light colored wines are more sensitive,
wait a month and taste,

if it's ruined can distil. into brandy😀 but 99% certain will taste fine

Our oxidation reaction isn’t that fast. The effect of having a bung off two days will be similar to that seen from opening, doing a manipulation, and closing up within half an hour.

A two inch head space on a five gallon calculates out to around one mg oxygen per liter. The AWRI recommended that total packaged oxygen exposure be under three mg per liter and they point at producers that are under one mg as being ideal.

Our oxidation reaction isn’t that fast. The effect of having a bung off two days will be similar to that seen from opening, doing a manipulation, and closing up within half an hour.

A two inch head space on a five gallon calculates out to around one mg oxygen per liter. The AWRI recommended that total packaged oxygen exposure be under three mg per liter and they point at producers that are under one mg as being ideal.
You’re quite knowledgeable my friend, I’m wonder if that total packaged exposure is cumulative? For instance in this case there was 3 Mg/L, if it’s bottled and the exposure there is say 1 mg/L do these add up to now 4 mg/L?

Jim, TPO is a tool which records the cumulative exposure that a wine has. On a winery this is calculated from doing DO (dissolved oxygen) readings before and after a pump or a filter press or mixing in a chemical or bottling etc. Each unit operation is added to get a total number. The theory behind all this is that the ReDox potential of a wine is finite and once oxidation happens the commercial shelf life is used up.

Yes your math is good. In the real world, bottling will typically be the worst offender, doing what is called bottle shock.

Yesterday (Dec 19), I discovered that my grandson (age 2), sneaked into the brew/wine room, on Sunday (Dec 17), and removed bungs from my carboys which were filled to the necks with ~2" airspace. They were exposed to the air for ~ 2 days. I immediately cleaned and refilled the airlocks or solid bungs. I have not tasted the wine, but....
Thoughts?
Dec 19th? Sunday Dec. 17th. Those dates have not yet arrived in 2023. Today, Saturday, is Dec 16.

My thoughts ... congratulations! You have discovered a wine making assistant although he is a bit young. It seems he has mastered the first step in tasting wine from a carboy. The next step in his official training might be to put the bungs back. I suggest you delay the wine tasting training itself although he likely has a sippy cup and is ready to go for it. If you use the European age standard for wine drinking, he could start in 5 to 7 years. :h

My thoughts ... congratulations! You have discovered a wine making assistant although he is a bit young. It seems he has mastered the first step in tasting wine from a carboy. The next step in his official training might be to put the bungs back. I suggest you delay the wine tasting training itself although he likely has a sippy cup and is ready to go for it. If you use the European age standard for wine drinking, he could start in 5 to 7 years. :h
Actually the 2-year-old likes wine. The 7-year-old does not. Of course, it is diluted. He is teething somewhat. And he is interested in the process. But then the 2-year-old also "knobs" with everything, as he should. I allow him to be as curious as he wants. Now the 7-year-old is KEVIN!!! (The Santa Clause)

Latest posts

Back