Cellar Craft After adding finers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark500

Reaction score
I am making Late Harvest Riesling Washington Reserve. I just finshed adding the chitosan and kitosol and have been degassing the lastcouple of days. Shortly after I added the finers, I noticed particulate material sinking to the bottom of the carboy. I presume that is normal. Is it a precipitate? Of what?

This is the fining agent falling down and taking ant proteins and sediment with it. I like to tilt the carboy so all the sediment falls in 1 corner, let that sit for a few weeks so that the lees really compact nice and then tilt gently back the other way and rack off the shallow end and retrieve more wine and cleaner wine.

*UPDATE*:

I sampled the wine that has been bulk aging in the carboy since April 2009.My wife said it was good. It's a sweet wine.(I added a 1/4tsp K-meta 4/09 for bulk aging in the carboy)So I added another1/4 tsp of K-meta yesterday since it had been in the carboy 3 months since I last added K-meta.Today, I bottled it. Will probably use it Christmas 2009. Why doesn't the meta I added before bottling affect the taste later?

It really shouldnt effect it at all because of the small amount we use. Commercial wineries typically use much more. You may taste it in the first few weeks some times cause it needs to integrate into the wine better.

Back