Other Adding brandy to port wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary_D

Junior
Reaction score
I currently have a port wine that is about a week away from being complete. If I want to add brandy to the kit at what point can I add it or am I to late?

I currently have a port wine that is about a week away from being complete. If I want to add brandy to the kit at what point can I add it or am I to late?

Wait until after fermentation is complete. After that, you can add it anytime. I even use brandy to top off my ports.

How much brandy to add?

The port kit I am making is the WE Blackberry Port. How do i determine how much brandy too add? Thanks for the help in advance.

1 bottle (of Brandy) per gallon of finished wine will fortify your wine to ~19% ABV depending on your wines finished ABV. If your wine is ~15%ABV then its right on at 19%. I would wait till your wine is perfectly clear and ready to bottle (no sediment). Add the brandy and let it meld/marry to the wine for a month then bottle after that.

Last edited:
a mickey of brandy (375ml) is just right for a 11 litre (3 gallon ) kit and a full bottle for a double batch filling a full carboy.

I add the brandy after the wine is stabilised but a few days before adding the clarifiers.

I bottled my WE Blackberry Port today. I did 15 bottles according to the normal recipe and 15 bottles fortified with Christian Brothers Brandy. Tasting as we bottled my wife preferred the original but I really liked the fortified version even out of the carboy. Very smooth with great legs already! Can't wait till this one gets some age.

Latest posts

Back