A Wine Clearing Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eland

Reaction score
I have a pear wine that I think is clear. I can actually read anything I put behind the carboy. My question is why can I still see the flashlight beam through the carboy instead of just a point of light on the other side. It has been thoroughly degassed. I have a wild grape that's clear and I can only see the light hitting the object on the other side.

Any thoughts?

Try moving to a colder room for a while. Pear wines notoriously hard to clear. I'm some others will weigh in with some more experience on them. Any finings used?

Could be mild pectic haze. Could be still have some suspended solids. Give it some more time or a fining agent if not used already. Did you use pectic enzyme?

I haven't used a fining agent, nor did I really want to. I did hit it with plenty of pectic enzyme though. Like I said, it is clear enough for me to read newspaper through a glass carboy. When I bottle, i just don't want to end up with sediment in the bottle. I may end up using some superkleer just to see if it gets it any better.

If its that clear then I wouldnt add any fining agents. Do you think its just the curvature of the carboy? I dont use any flashlight technique. You could get the Vinbrite gravity filter, its cheap and does a great job.
<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5292 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2692_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Vinbrite Filter

Does not qualify for any discounts.</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$39.99</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>
Filtering-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back