A surprise from my Sauv Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahRides

Reaction score
So I bottled the one surviving wine from my table crash about 6 months ago. After trying my first bottle, all I could taste was oxidized wine, it just had this bad off flavor to it, I was thinking "Maybe it didn't survive after all". The airlock had been off of it for an undetermined amount of time (maybe a day or two). So I had been meaning to dump the bottles of it, I just hadn't gotten around to opening them all, emptying and delabeling the bottles. I must have given my Mother in law a bottle of it at some point, because today she opened one and was serving it (oops). I took a taste of it and was shocked, after six months of it being in the bottle, it tasted really really good! The oxidized flavor was completely gone, it has become a smooth and almost fruity wine. I couldn't believe it! I had just tasted it a month or so ago and still it tasted oxidized. I'm really glad I never got around to tossing it out! At this point it is about 14 months old, 6 or so of it was spent aging in the bottle. I guess it really did survive!

Bottle Shock ???

When a wine is bottled it is shortly exposed to oxygen and undergoes all kinds off
chemical alterations.
It has to stabilise again.

It seems that this is what happemed here.

So never immediately drink a wine that is bottled. Let it settle for a few months and then open a bottle.

Luc

Would have been a sad day at your mother-in-law's, had you pitched the wine previously.

I am very glad you didn't!!!

Glad you didn't pitch it.

I think Luc might have it right - bottle shock seems like the reasonable explanation..

I'm not sure....it just seemed like 6 months is a long time to have bottle shock! I'm never throwing out a batch after this! :p

Wait at least 1 1/2 years before ever throwing out a batch of wine. This is wine everyone, its just not designed to taste good very fast. Ive had this happen with more then 1 batch but especially a RJS Ice wine kit that was so nasty I almost dumped it but to be honest it was in the beginning of my wine cellar days and wanted it in there to look more presentable as a full cellar!! LOL Now about 5 years later its freakin top notch and better then most any commercial ice wine Ive had!

I have dumped only Oxidized wine, age wont help it. I also dumped an apple I was playing with to see how high I could get the ABV. Everything else gets to set

Latest posts

Back