99# plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't overload your primary bucket. I did and if you look through my thread you will see what can happen.
Splitting it up into 2 buckets would be well advised.

BOB

so after following that recipe, before some of the posts

my high abv bucket is at SG 1.165

too high?
can i fix it or leave it

i havent started the third bucket yet.

[chuckles]
Yea. That's preaty high.
If it ferments down to 0.000 you're ABV will be probebly higher than 20%.
Not out of the question.
Again... ABV is a matter of taste. Do you want a high alchahol content in your wine? Cause you have it now.

After you ferment out and stabelize You can still add sugar to itto bring down the hard alchahol taste later.
I wouldn't mess with it trying to change it.
Finish out the wine and see what you think.
Make notes on your exact procedures and next time, adjust up or down to suit.

Great wines are not born over night. They sometimes take years to get it just right.

What yeast did you end up using. A low alcohol tolerant yeast will most likely die off before it can ferment to dryness and will leave it with a certain amount of sweetness. A stronger yeast ( for example Ec 1118 may ferment to dry ) leaving you with a very hot ( high alcohol ) wine that will most likely take quite some time to calm down.
You could add some water and more fruit to this batch just don't add any more sugar or leave it like it is and call it port.

BOB

cool thanks. i had that idea in my head to use a low alcohol yeast so it stops quicker. i am going to pitch the yeast tonight, was just waiting.

glad i didnt try to mess with it and the 3rd batch.

no more room for water or fruit in the bucket.

will be putting it in an overflow, just incase.

To clarify (with respect)...

I believe what Fivebk is saying here is if you stall the fermentation process early (before 0.000) by either a natural stall where the yeast simply peeters out or a forced stall where you add campden early, you'll avoid the "hot" (high alchahol) aspect and retain some inherent sweetness without adding any additional sugar or fruit.
However. If you let it run outas isand simply bottle it then let it sit a year or two, the wine will mellow out.How well though, is undetermined but the longer the better.

As far as adding sugar...
Adding any additional sugar (or fruit) at this time will raise the S.G. even higher than it currently is adding even moreto your A.B.V. issue.
Adding sugar after you add the campden (to kill the fermentation) will raise yourS.G. but willnot affect your A.B.V. making the wine sweeter without making it any hotter.

Here again. Ageing will play a criticle factor in the success of your finished product.
Don't rush this one to the table and you may be pleasantly surprised.

At 1.165 SG the abv would be in the 23% range if it could ferment to dry. by using a low alcohol tolerant yeast ( say cotes des blanc ) which will die off between 12-14% that would leave your wine somewhat sweet and your alcohol level would still be managable. I would not tell someone to try and stop fermentation it's too unpredictable.

BOB

Let clear somthing up here folks.

Stopping a fermentation is not a TABOO andwill not result in any disasterous affects.
No explosions, no poisons, no toxins, no sour tasting wines.

Stopping a fermentation if followed by proper racking and clearing will result in the same results asa naturallystalled fermentation.
A lower A.B.V. that's still sweet without adding sugar.

NOTHING MORE.

Many people do it (myself included) when they want two simultaneous but different, levels of A.B.V. from the same batch and have only one primary bucket to work with.
It works fine.

So please folks... stop waving a red DANGER flag every time you see this mentioned.

Handyman, may I please ask you to explain your procedure for stopping a fermentation, including a proper racking and clearing. I would love to learn how to do this dependably and at the desired alcohol and residual sugar level.

I also want to know how to keep it from refermenting at a later time, preferably without sorbate addition. Since I am beginning a commercial winery, these things would be great to know.

I would like to caution that stopping a fermentation early can and does lead to renewed fermentation later in many cases. Does it every time? No. But often enough to be careful doing it. By stopping the fermentation early with campden or potassium metabisulfite you do so at a high enough level to stun the yeast. Fermentation does stop. If you add sorbate, end of problem. If however you don't add sorbate, you can have problems later. Over time the S02 level drops as it is tied up in the wine. At a certain point it is no longer strong enough to inhibit fermentation. If you do not sterile filter (which the average home winemaker does not have the ability to do), the you have some yeast left in the wine no matter how clear it has gotten. If the temperature becomes warm enough, you can get a renewed fermentation in the wine because of the residual sugars left in it. That can lead to blown corks or exploded bottles.

If you have stopped fermentation early with campden alone, you cannot guarantee that it will never ferment again.

Sorry people for those of you who read the post that has been deleted. He was a rude person with his own version of wine making which has gotten any a people into trouble doing it his way. Stopping a fermentation by adding sulfite requires the addition of more sulfites then anyone wants to use in their wine as wine yeast is pretty tolerant of sulfites hence why we use it to stun wild yeast in the very beginning and then add our yeast of choice and it takes right off. Secondly, adding the sulfites to a fermenting wine will usually cause the yeast to stress and cause off flavors and tastes to your win e. Last of all doing so will get you in trouble cause your just stunning the yeast and not killing it and this eventually when the sulfite levels drop off can re-ferment in the bottle and cause bottle bombs. This user was given a verbal warning the other day for yes.... bashing another member and I do mean bashing. he was much more rude in the last post 2 days ago in which I gave him a warning.

Thanks, Wade. It's not easy to make those decisions but sometimes it is necessary. I've always appreciated this forum as a friendly place that people of all types of experiences and opinions can interact and have interesting wine-making discussions withOUT being insulted or bashed. Thanks for keeping it that way.

P.S Love the new security badge.
smiley36.gif

Wade, Rich, and to any other moderators involved in this situation . I would like to thank you all for your quick response to a potetial problem . KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

BOB

I really hate to do this stuff as everyone has their own ways and opinions but being rude about it is another story. I like the way I make wine and others like the way they do it and even if he likes stopping fermentation with sulfite so be it but dont come on here telling anyone to shut up if they dont have facts as he did as he didnt have any facts either supporting his method and over sulfiting the wine is not the way to go about something IMO. Do as you will but I strongly advise you not to do it that way and that doesnt mean my way is the only way.

Goodfella said:
Any updates?

How is this wine coming along?

so i racked it 3 times now, not much sediment left

Gravity is reading 1.042

SG 1.165

this is just the first batch with the larger amount of sugar added. it tasts really good. think i am ready to bottle. it has not been bubbling. i think it is done. i just dont want exploding bottles.

so sorry if i started some kind of war here. didnt mean to

what do i do now. bottle as is? do i ad sorbate before hand?

I believe that as many wines and wine makers as there are there are as many ways to finish a wine and or control the fermentation process,with success,but ifcontrol of ones opinion is whats needed tempering ,thats way we have a civil community and people tobalance the verbiage,good job wade ,we sometimes need control of our own verbal fermentation.................................I like plum wine made it with fresh Italian plums.........turned out great......

ok, so now i am kinda confused.

i am asking because i dont know how to procede, not because i am choosing one way or another. i didnt intend to start drama, just a noob looking for answers.

since this is only my second successful fruit wine and the fruit was dropped on my doorstep unexpectedly. i am confused because all the grape kits i have done all use sulphite to stop fermentation before bottling, which i thought stopped fermentation so the bottles do NOT explode.

the question i cannot answer is what yeast i used and the SG of the second batch, i might be able to guess but i know it was one that dies of early for the sweet batch and a stronger one for the less sugar batch. as the paper i wrote it down on was thrown out accidently. and i forgot to post it on here.

so i have two batches, the higher sugar one slowed down almost to none. and is bubbling less and tastes much better and less alcoholic than the lower SG batch.

so i would really like to know the best way to proceed so i do not have exploding bottles and hopefully some good plum wine.

1) bottle now without sulphite addition
2) sulphite then bottle
3) let it go longer

please let me know, if more info is needed, i will be happy to provide.
thanks for your time and expert opinions.

i also have a few #s of plums in the freezer to make an f-pak if needed, which i think i might do on the lower sugar batch that tasts more alcoholic, to sweeten it up a bit, as i like sweet wines.

Latest posts

Back