6 week kit time vs juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravelloview

Junior
Reaction score
In the process of completing a 6 week kit and my uncle was wondering how it is ready in 6 weeks. He previously made his first batch of wine, a Pinot and a Chianti from refrigerated juice and it took him months and multiple racks to be ready. What makes kits ready so fast? I couldn't think of a good answer to give him.

Thanks for any clarification.

If you push it, your 6 week kit will be drinkable (barely) in 6 weeks. If you followed your Uncles time line of several months, it would be even better. I do a bunch of kits. Most of them i complete in an 8 to 10 month time. These are actually 4 week kits but are so much better with a longer schedule!

I understand that the longer we wait the better it will taste, however, I was under the impression that the juice method that he used must have required longer fermentation times and extra rackings because it wasn't a kit and something is done to the kit juice that makes it ready quicker than his method.. Maybe I am just mistaken. Is the better response to his question that his wine could technically be ready in six weeks time if he wanted it to be?

What do you mean by "refrigerated juice"? Did he buy juice buckets? Kits are balanced to be done quicker but juice buckets are not that far behind kits, most are balanced and innoculated with yeast.

Wine kit - It is ready to go. Someone had made sure that concentrate is all ready to go. It has been balanced and stabilized by professionals. They have made sure that every kit of that variety is exactly the same. If you follow the directions you will have great wine.

Juice pail - You have a pail of juice. You must take your own readings and make the necessary adjustments for brix, ph and total acidity. You must measure out all of your chemicals and make sure you add them at the correct time. It is your responsibility to stabilize the wine. Your pail of juice may have come from the first or last press, it may not be the same as my pail of the same variety. If you do something wrong....it will take longer to become fine wine.

You kit may be ready in 6 weeks but it certainly is not done. Heck I have a 4 week kit that just spent 6 months on oak.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back