6 gal vs 6.5 gal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
There are some local people who Im tyring to buy some used carboys from. I need 6 gal ones but they think the ones they are selling are 6.5 gal. How can I tell the difference between a 6 gal and a 6.5 gal carboy?

Scuba

You might be able to look at the bottom and find the size stamped in it. Other than that, you could take an accurate measure and fill the carboy until full and see what it holds. That would take a while. If the price was right, I would buy them or maybe trade a few bottles of wine for them. Even if they were a bit bigger than 6 gallons, you could use them for a primary or for slightly large batches. If you make a scratch country wine, you could just make it a little larger. Then when you need to rack again, rack to a 6 gallon and maybe come out just right.

Also once you get your grape vines producing good, you could just make them full.

If the price was almost that of new, I would pass and get the sizes you really want.

I can get them for $10a peice. I checked the bottom of my carboy and there isnt any markings on it to indicate the size.

Scuba

For $10 you may as well buy them. Like it was said, you can use them for scratch wines. If you start by making 6.5 gallons, then when you rack, you'll be all set for the 6 gallon carboy.

Most 6.5 gal I have seen have screw tops as they were acid containers, Caps might not be there but top will have threads

Funny you should mention carboys! I scored two 6.5s today! One even has a handle! They were free but I gave the former owners some of my wine.

It was a great trade!
smiley4.gif

6 gallon carboys will have 23L stamped on the bottom for and 6.5's will have 25L stamped on the bottom. Usually it will also say Made in Mexico or Made in Italy.

Italian 23L carboys will almost always hold more than 6 gallons (usually about 6.2).

Buy them! They make great primary fermenters. Wish I had 3-4 more 6.5's Edited by: smurfe

Back