5 gals instead of 6

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatrickL

Junior
Reaction score
I just racked my Winexpert (expensive) zinfandel from what I thought was a 6 gal bucket. Turns out, it's 6 to the rim - so primary fermentation was only 5 gals! Damn! Now what?

Any suggestions? Can we save it?

It will ferment but it isn't going to be lets say perfect. If it's already fermented there isn't much I know you can do with it other than drink it. Maybe someone will give you a tip to try but off the top of my head I can't think of anything.

Where did the bucket come from? Was it a beer bucket- those can be smaller than a wine 7.9 gallon primary. If you are sure it was only 5 gallons you made, then the dilution ratio was wrong for the whole batch. That throws off the intended ABV, acid levels , body etc. If you were supposed to add lets say 2 gallons of water and you only put in one gallon, the chemistry was wrong when you made it. After being certain of the values of water added, fill level, volume of bucket etc - I would add the extra gallon of water. I know most of you will think this is wrong, but if it was supposed to be in there, it should still be in there. As long as the fermentation completed, it shouldn't alter the outcome of the kit.

You could always call Winexpert and ask their experts for their opinion. If you do, let us know the results.

I honestly don't know if adding water will help or not. I have made fruit wines where I have had too high of an SG and came out with too high ABV. I have tried adding water to some of these wines to try to dilute it down thinking it would fix all. It didn't work in those cases. I am basing my first thoughts on these experiences by me. It is a great idea to ask Wine Expert though. They may not get back to you immediately but within a few days you ought to hear back from them.

First off - thanks for trying to help, everyone!

re: hydrometer - I did and the wine was at 1.01 to rack - it took two extra days but at that point, I didn't suspect anything was wrong

I think adding the extra gallon of water at this point will work. Remember that with a kit you had all of the flavor elements designed around 6 gallons, so the dilution won't hurt. With a fruit wine with only too much sugar/alcohol dilution dilutes the fruit flavor as well.

I posted an email to Tim@winexpert's blog site - no response yet.

So, for now, I have 5 gallons of zin in the 6 gallon carboy, starting the second fermentation. If Tim doesn't respond in 2 days, I may add the water and hope for the best.

What I meant was did you take a reading in the beginning as you would have immediately known there was something wrong cause the sg would have been way off!

You're assuming I'm wise enough to have realized at the outset that the sugar was too high...

Remember, I didn't notice I was using a 5 gallon bucket!
smiley9.gif

The second fermentationis generating enough to bubble the hydrometer. I'll call WinExpert now and I'll post what they say

Tim, the WinExpert guru, is traveling and hasn't responded to my email. The lady answering analogized that it was adding eggs after the first 20 minutes of baking a cake... so she didn't want to officially give any advice.

I'm waiting for Tim...

Thanks for YOUR advice, folks!

I wouldnt worry too much. The German lady at our LHB store makes all her kits with only 5 gals instead 6 and has won many medals at local contests. I would think that as long as the starting SG was where you wanted it ,it will be fine.

I have an unrelated but similar problem - my Brehm Vineyards Gewurztraminer is supposed to make 5 gallons, not 6. Since I obviously can't add anything to the non-concentrate must or top up, can I briefly rack to a 6-gal carboy while obtaining another 3 gallon carboy and some 1-2 gallon carboys? I presume the CO2 from the continuing fermentation would drive off any lingering oxygen and the airlock would would eliminate all but a negligible amount of incoming oxygen. Will/Does the CO2 work like a blanket to protect the must from O2 inside the carboy?

Again, this would be a brief (like 1 week) period, so not a long-term bulk-aging solution, but a quickie gap-filler.

The S.G. has dropped from 1.092 on July 7 to about 1.03 yesterday, so I'm close to secondary ferm. time. Thanks for your help.

Bart

You should be fine. Why don't you get a 5 gallon carboy instead of splitting it up in the 3 and 1s?
VC

We added another gallon of water during the secondary fermentation and all seems fine now. We bottle in another month, so I'll let you know in 4 months if all is as it seems ; )

VC,
That's a pretty dang good suggestion. I didn't realize, despite my visits to George's store, that he had 5-gal. carboys - I thought he had only 1s, 3s and 5s.
smiley3.gif

Now, are the 5 gal. glass carboys actually, like, 5.2 gal, as with the 6-gal Italian ones, or are they REALLY 5 gal.? Since I don't know yet exactly how much this Brehm's Vineyard must will yield, this is all speculative, but I'd like to be as prepared as possible. Thanks,
Bart

No idea about the size but you can call the store and have the question answered. They may also give you some idea about the final yield from your wine. Good luck.
VC

Latest posts

Back