Issue with Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antonio58

Junior
Reaction score
Pressed my grapes (Zinfandel) last Saturday and are now in Demjohns fermenting nicely, my only concern is the stuff that has floated to the top. Is this normal, there is no foul smell I'm waiting for the fermentation to stop so I can rack the wine. I usuallwait up to 60 days to do my first racking, but I'm thinking I need to do this a lot sooner. Any thoughts or advice

tempImageWdhC5M.jpg

I agree that it looks like grape skins. I run a wine / must through a fine mesh nylon straining bag if I am cleaning gross solids. If you were in a big mouth bubbler I would say take a 3” kitchen sieve and pull it every day as it floats up. ,,, I can get a 1/2 oz ladle in my demijohn. You might look around for a small sauce ladle.
60E26F4D-CED4-4E15-BD82-FBFEE15D14CC.jpeg

Thanks for all the input, I was going to wait till fermentation stopped and a hydrometer reading of .992 then rack wine. Hopefully within the next couple of days

Thanks for all the input, I was going to wait till fermentation stopped and a hydrometer reading of .992 then rack wine. Hopefully within the next couple of days
Many wines do not have a final gravity that low. Generally speaking, if the SG <= 0.998 and doesn't change for 3 days, fermentation is considered complete.

Back