3rd skeeter pee not fermenting, uh oh

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, everything is complete and i racked it over to 5 gal. carboy. it's MUCH cloudier than my first 2 pee's at this point. is it because of using a starter?

Yes. You have all the yeast cells from your slurry in there. Add sparkolloid or whatever you use to clear and it will start to clear out in just a few hours.

Yes. You have all the yeast cells from your slurry in there. Add sparkolloid or whatever you use to clear and it will start to clear out in just a few hours.
was just curious...it's also still working??? after racking. this pee has been different all around, lol

was just curious...it's also still working??? after racking. this pee has been different all around, lol

A Skeeter Pee made with a slurry versus a starter can be different due to things other than the yeast. Depending on your parent wine, your slurry may have other ingredients it it that aren't in a typical starter. For instance, if you started your parent wine with some bentonite in it, that will be part of the slurry and it could act to pull some of the haze out of the initial stages of the ferment.

this slurry was the beaujolais slurry, but there wasn't alot of it. the color has turned out very purple, not the pink of the blackberry. (2nd batch is very red as i added cranberry concentrate) i can't decide whether to just sweeten or maybe add some welch's purple grape concentrate? would it be too much like grape juice?
i would like to try a different color of skeeter pee...but i'm thinking about doing julie's strawberry breeze next, and that'll give me another pink pee:tz
any ideas on a wine to do this winter that would give me a different color of pee?

How about a flower wine of some type? You wouldn't need to make a 5+ gallon batch. My morning glories are blooming like crazy right now and they make a pretty transluscent lavender/blue color wine.

How about a flower wine of some type? You wouldn't need to make a 5+ gallon batch. My morning glories are blooming like crazy right now and they make a pretty transluscent lavender/blue color wine.

i have a large bunch of lavender petunias??? how many does it take??
is it just sugar water, with these in it for fermentation...gotta crush 'em up?

the link sends me to a freelance writing site?
but this is what i've done, lol
i picked all the lavender petunias i had and added some morning glory and rose petals...about a 1/2 gallon in all
so the recipe would be:
1/2 gallon petunia, rose, and morning glory flowers
1/2 gallon white grape juice
1/2 gallon simple syrup
nutrient, energizer, kmeta, pectin per guidelines
1 tsp. acid blend
poured the simple syrup over the flowers while still warm and then added the grape juice and ingredients. waited 12 hours and then 3/4 packet premier cuvee...
we'll see what happens, lol

racked today at 1.020. it's still lavender/pinkish, but we'll see how it goes.
next question, what can i top this up with?
i've wound up with only 3/4 gallon? maybe some of my chardonel? i've got a little 1/2 gal. left from that racking.
and
i'm degassing the 3rd skeeter pee some more and see if that will help start the clearing. it's not clearing at all:gb

racked today at 1.020. it's still lavender/pinkish, but we'll see how it goes.
next question, what can i top this up with?
i've wound up with only 3/4 gallon? maybe some of my chardonel? i've got a little 1/2 gal. left from that racking.
and
i'm degassing the 3rd skeeter pee some more and see if that will help start the clearing. it's not clearing at all:gb

You could use a little water since s.p. is sugar water. Depends on how much you need to top off with.

My Merlot/Cab. Sauv./Syrah slurry skeeter pee is almost thru fermenting. I;ve got the grape concentrate to flavor/sweeten back. The first s.p. is down to the last few bottles.

May have to make skeeter pee a bi weekly thing.

You could use a little water since s.p. is sugar water. Depends on how much you need to top off with.

My Merlot/Cab. Sauv./Syrah slurry skeeter pee is almost thru fermenting. I;ve got the grape concentrate to flavor/sweeten back. The first s.p. is down to the last few bottles.

May have to make skeeter pee a bi weekly thing.

steve, what am i gonna do with u, lol! the 3/4 gallon is petunia, rose and morning glory wine, trying an experiment to get a different or unusual color for skeeter pee, lol!
i guess i got off topic, lol, but didn't want to start a new thread. i'm trying for an odd or iridescent color for the next pee!
(now some people would say u need to go to the doctor if ur pee is iridescent)

i tried agitation degassing today...we'll see if any clearing starts on the pee?

Ya Steve,
You would think since they have figured out how to make the hydrometer stop so you can never read it they could figure out how to make it stop so you can. Think they make em that way just to aggrevate us. lol
For some they turn, for others the don't. Some people just have magnetic eyes!!:b

Harry

If your hydrometer was made in China, it could be that it was made to face the people on the other side of the globe.

It changes the flavor of the lemon

So okay here's a question for all of you. If starting a s.p. is tough due to the lemon juice, why not add it after the s.p. has taken off. In addition why can't you wait till near the end to add the remaining or bulk of the lemon juice.

Remember it needs lots of air so don't be afraid to whip it.......whip it good!

I am just making my 1st batch of SP, and though I tried to follow Lon's receipe, to make 5 Gal, I ended with my brew bucket at a little over 6 Gal.
other than using 10#s of sugar, OG was 1.082, and EC1118 yeast, it took 4 days to start fermenting, today the gravity was 1.048, and I added my 2nd batch of energizer and nutrient, I have a very vigorous yeast.

I do say that the lemon flavor has made a large flavor change, not unpleasant, but a milder lemon flavor. I might use 1 gallon to flavor with lime juice, and the rest the last bottle of 32 oz of lemon.

At 1.068, and before I beat it with a 5gallon paint stirrer from Lowes(works GREAT, much better than a wire wisk, and the 18volt drill is easier on the arms) the carbination left it very much tasting like Mikes Hard Lemonade.

I'll see how long this takes to go dry. So far it has been 1 week tomorrow(Saturday 4-20).

I do say, I like the flavor very much. Great advice from severel posts on this forum.:br

Need some assistance after reading this thread. I started SP on Mon 7/31/12 at 7:30 am. I followed the recipe exactly on the SP site. It was 1.070 when I covered the SP with 1/2 lid, and 1/2 dish towel after reading other suggestions on this site. On 8/1 at 8 am, I gave it a good stirring. I took the slurry out of the fridge on 8/1 as well. On 8/2 in the AM, I stirred 2 minutes, and I added slurry, and stirred again. Covered the same way. After 48 hours, when there wasn't any sign of fermentation, and a reading of 1.070, I stirred it again, then sprinkled a package of EC1118 on top (from reading tips on this thread). Recovered it the same way. It has been another 30 hours since I have done that, and there is no sign of fermentation. I took a reading and the liquid had small bubbles in the wine thief, but the reading is stil 1.070. Temperature is around 74 - 76 degrees. Any suggestions to get this fermenting?

Need some assistance after reading this thread. I started SP on Mon 7/31/12 at 7:30 am. I followed the recipe exactly on the SP site. It was 1.070 when I covered the SP with 1/2 lid, and 1/2 dish towel after reading other suggestions on this site. On 8/1 at 8 am, I gave it a good stirring. I took the slurry out of the fridge on 8/1 as well. On 8/2 in the AM, I stirred 2 minutes, and I added slurry, and stirred again. Covered the same way. After 48 hours, when there wasn't any sign of fermentation, and a reading of 1.070, I stirred it again, then sprinkled a package of EC1118 on top (from reading tips on this thread). Recovered it the same way. It has been another 30 hours since I have done that, and there is no sign of fermentation. I took a reading and the liquid had small bubbles in the wine thief, but the reading is stil 1.070. Temperature is around 74 - 76 degrees. Any suggestions to get this fermenting?

Patience, I have had my slurry take up to 4 days before it would start. Stir is real good a couple of times a day and just wait, it will start.

Latest posts

Back