My Blueberry! Uh Oh!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the last 2 months I've been drinking Skeeter Pee and Dragon Blood and have been happy. Well, I thought I was happy.

This morning (yes, morning) I opened a small (375ml) tasting bottle of wild blueberry wine bottled 5 weeks ago.
OH MY GOD! THIS is why I started making wine! It is so good and I am so happy - and thinking I need more carboys. Yeah, uh oh. This changes everything.

I honestly don't know how soon I can go back to SP and DB. I was on a mission before - now I'm on a crusade.

blueberry 1.jpg

When did you originally make the batch?
I started making wine last October and this was the 3rd or 4th one. I did 13 1-gallon batches with the intention of making larger batches of those I really liked. Some were bottled, some will be bottled soon. To be honest, I was impatient. I bottled after 4 1/2 months in bulk. Now my SOP is 6 months in bulk.

I'm at 3.5 months on my raspberry and triple berry. Haven't even looked at them since I racked. Easiest way to be patient is to forget. If your blueberry is already good, I'll likely check in on them in another couple of months.

Check out local postings or craigslist/kijiji. Used wine equipment is cheap. I have 3 wine racks, 2 filters, to floor corkers, 9 carboys, 4 primaries,15 cases of bottles. Duplicates of all racking canes, hydrometers, funnels, chemicals, etc. I bought 2 separate set ups for $100 each and I just sold a double fermenter/carboy set up with floor corker and everything needed for $100.

For $100 total invested I'm set for a while. I sense with all the carboys I'm gonna need more bottles, though. Unless I really try to make sure they get emptied at a reasonable rate.

Check out local postings or craigslist/kijiji. Used wine equipment is cheap. I have 3 wine racks, 2 filters, to floor corkers, 9 carboys, 4 primaries,15 cases of bottles. Duplicates of all racking canes, hydrometers, funnels, chemicals, etc. I bought 2 separate set ups for $100 each and I just sold a double fermenter/carboy set up with floor corker and everything needed for $100.

For $100 total invested I'm set for a while. I sense with all the carboys I'm gonna need more bottles, though. Unless I really try to make sure they get emptied at a reasonable rate.
Wow, you are lucky! I check about once a week and there's virtually nothing in Ohio. 5 gallon glass carboy for $45 - yeah, what a bargain.

That's too bad. I actually did a search and you are correct. slim pickins.

People are damn near giving it away up here. I'm so used to looking at your prices thinking, I WISH! This is shocking.

Too bad you can't fold up a carboy, I'd ship you a bargain!

I haven’t tried blueberry but I like the commercial offerings I’ve tried. On a good year you can pick gallons of wild blueberries up here. And the wild ones are typically more flavorful than store bought.
I hope it’s a good blueberry year!

@vinny
You should have loads of wild blueberries up Canada way.

For the last 2 months I've been drinking Skeeter Pee and Dragon Blood and have been happy. Well, I thought I was happy.

This morning (yes, morning) I opened a small (375ml) tasting bottle of wild blueberry wine bottled 5 weeks ago.
OH MY GOD! THIS is why I started making wine! It is so good and I am so happy - and thinking I need more carboys. Yeah, uh oh. This changes everything.

I honestly don't know how soon I can go back to SP and DB. I was on a mission before - now I'm on a crusade.

View attachment 87853

You should have loads of wild blueberries up Canada way.

Yup, Used to go out picking as a kid. Last 10 years has been 100% building the property and growing the business (since I moved to the area), but now I have a reason to go see what's around. I think the neighbours used to harvest blueberries on the north end of the property before we bought.

Lots of wild strawberries, which are TINY! I would need to make a blend, but this year I'm gonna figure out what the property has to offer for fermentables.

@BigDaveK

What have you tried? All the cracks that you'll be trying dirt wine soon, you must have some interesting attempts under your belt.

I'll be able to find plenty of berry varieties. Off the top of my head on the maybe side I've got chaga, thistle, dandelion and that's ignoring leaves and barks. I'd have to look deeper into that.

We are going out to buy more 3 gallon carboys this morning. I still have 15+ pounds of blueberries in the freezer and Yes, when I racked the blueberry finishing now it already tastes awesome.

Wow, you are lucky! I check about once a week and there's virtually nothing in Ohio. 5 gallon glass carboy for $45 - yeah, what a bargain.
Look for kegs; sanke are best but the corny kegs work and you can buy a replacement lid that accommodates an air lock. Also, If you have family or vacation in other areas, check Craigslist for those areas. Also look at Facebook Marketplace and Probrewer. I scored a bunch of 50 liter kegs on Probrewer from a micro brewery that was closing up. Most of the Probrewer equipment is for beer but some can be used for wine.
https://www.probrewer.com/classified-ads/ad-category/used-equipment-for-sale/

Look for kegs; sanke are best but the corny kegs work and you can buy a replacement lid that accommodates an air lock. Also, If you have family or vacation in other areas, check Craigslist for those areas. Also look at Facebook Marketplace and Probrewer. I scored a bunch of 50 liter kegs on Probrewer from a micro brewery that was closing up. Most of the Probrewer equipment is for beer but some can be used for wine.
https://www.probrewer.com/classified-ads/ad-category/used-equipment-for-sale/
I didn't think of Facebook Marketplace. Thanks! Maybe I'll have better luck there. I usually stay away from FB - visit once a week or so.

Lots of wild strawberries, which are TINY! I would need to make a blend, but this year I'm gonna figure out what the property has to offer for fermentables.

@BigDaveK

What have you tried? All the cracks that you'll be trying dirt wine soon, you must have some interesting attempts under your belt.

I'll be able to find plenty of berry varieties. Off the top of my head on the maybe side I've got chaga, thistle, dandelion and that's ignoring leaves and barks. I'd have to look deeper into that.
I thought I had wild strawberries EVERYWHERE. They're supposed to be tasty but mine are very small and taste terrible. Found out a couple years ago I have "mock wild strawberries". Who knew there's such a thing!

I'm trying to slow down for a bit, only having one in primary at a time. Right now it's sassafras and the room smells wonderful! Yeah, couple more months and wine making might be a full time job!!

Yes, in the late 1970s we had tons of wild strawberries but they died out over the next few years. The things that resemble wild strawberries are seedy, nasty things.

Yes, in the late 1970s we had tons of wild strawberries but they died out over the next few years. The things that resemble wild strawberries are seedy, nasty things.
Yes, they are nasty - but wouldn't it be a hoot if they made a decent wine?! If I get bored I may have to experiment.

I can't get rid of the damn things. I'll pull probably hundreds during spring and summer and the following year there's even more!!

Back