2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received my local price list. Across the board higher then Procacci. But have 2 questions. First is there any real benefit from buying white grapes as opposed to a juice bucket? Secondly if I remember correctly Pinot Noir is a difficult wine to make, is this correct?

I complete forgot to talk to you about this kinda stuff. What's on the menu and from where?

Just received my local price list. Across the board higher then Procacci. But have 2 questions. First is there any real benefit from buying white grapes as opposed to a juice bucket? Secondly if I remember correctly Pinot Noir is a difficult wine to make, is this correct?

I've done a couple white wines from juice and have been happy with the results. Going from grapes would be 2-3 times the price, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. Better? I'd say most likely yes. But three times better?

I've done a couple white wines from juice and have been happy with the results. Going from grapes would be 2-3 times the price, so I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. Better? I'd say most likely yes. But three times better?

Kind of my thought exactly. But I just keep thinking about the thread on the heat treatment of the processed juice and cold fermentation. Not sure I 100% buy into it but without knowing have to at least consider it.

Kind of my thought exactly. But I just keep thinking about the thread on the heat treatment of the processed juice and cold fermentation. Not sure I 100% buy into it but without knowing have to at least consider it.

You could consider getting a frozen white must, it's pressed, settled, frozen, and shipped to you frozen. Kinda takes the processing fears out of the equation, as well as the risk of early fermentation. Having done several whites from frozen juice all the way down here in the south, they've always arrived frozen and slushy, way too cold for anything to get going before arriving, and have made very nice wines. Just another option to consider............

Approximately depending on the grape.

I use 2gallons per lug for planning purposes. It usually comes out a little higher than that, but I'm comfortable knowing I can make a 6 gallon batch from 3 lugs and likely have a little extra for topping up.

@mainshipfred : regarding your question on Pinot Noir, I've read that it's a tough wine and hesitated making one until last fall. So far so good with that - I'll be putting it into the barrel this weekend and will take a taste. The more I read, I think the hard part w/ Pinot is more in the growing.

I haven't pressed white grapes as of yet, but the only thing I could think of is you truly know what your getting from the grapes. But I have had good results with whites from buckets, viognier two years ago and the sauv blanc last year. And the cost is lower with buckets

You could consider getting a frozen white must, it's pressed, settled, frozen, and shipped to you frozen. Kinda takes the processing fears out of the equation, as well as the risk of early fermentation. Having done several whites from frozen juice all the way down here in the south, they've always arrived frozen and slushy, way too cold for anything to get going before arriving, and have made very nice wines. Just another option to consider............

Thanks but isn't frozen must more expensive then grapes? Even though we cry and whine about how far we have to travel for grapes I think we have easier access then you.

Stopped in Procacci again today, they have premium zin and syrah in, plus most juice buckets and some of the regular grape list. I could have gotten grapes today, but tomorrow is their official opening day of the year, and they were having electronic payment system issues today, and were a little disheveled getting all set up. Lenny was busy didn't get a chance to talk to him and the other guy doesn't know much.

@mainshipfred : regarding your question on Pinot Noir, I've read that it's a tough wine and hesitated making one until last fall. So far so good with that - I'll be putting it into the barrel this weekend and will take a taste. The more I read, I think the hard part w/ Pinot is more in the growing.[/QUOTE]

Got it, maybe that is what I'm remembering.

Stopped in Procacci again today, they have premium zin and syrah in, plus most juice buckets and some of the regular grape list. I could have gotten grapes today, but tomorrow is their official opening day of the year, and they were having electronic payment system issues today, and were a little disheveled getting all set up. Lenny was busy didn't get a chance to talk to him and the other guy doesn't know much.

Thanks Paul, will you be going back tomorrow? Or whenever you go will you be able to get the pricing and AVA?

What is their premium Zin? Where is if from and what 'line' - Lodi Gold?

Closest winery supplied was in Hershey. But they got Lodi and timing wouldn’t work.
Was that the Vineyard and Brewery at Hershey? My brother knows one of the owners, just asking, might have to visit this Fall. I had been invited to visit and never got out there, pretty sure they make some beer too.

The premium zin are “wine grapes”. The regular Zin are wine grapes for less $$. :)
Procacci and “grape info” aren’t the best of friends.
Might be Better off googling. Regina and Pia grapes.

Was that the Vineyard and Brewery at Hershey? My brother knows one of the owners, just asking, might have to visit this Fall. I had been invited to visit and never got out there, pretty sure they make some beer too.

Collingswood Grape Co. wouldn’t tell me the name. And I understood so I didn’t push. Since the Hershey winery wasn’t using the higher quality grapes offered he didn’t want to put their business out there like that.

Mr Massa is correct, I'm still going to try and get the source from them. But there actually will be a sticker that says "Premium Grapes" on the lugs with no vineyard listed.

That's one of the reason I ordered the Paso Robles grapes from Gino's I want to see if there is a big difference and do the Procacci premium stand up.

Some of us will have a bottle of last years procacci premium Zin at the crabhouse on the 9th, and we can judge the grapes then.

Here are last years premium zin. They are marked "Pia" which is the same company as Regina. Like the juice who know what you are really getting. But I can't complain about any of their products.

View attachment 50657 View attachment 50658

Plus a lot of them come in the old school wooden lug crates. And for anyone craftyIMG_5610.jpg these things are gems for some wine related DIYs.

Latest posts

Back