2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may be too far for most, but CFPwinemakers in Pittsburgh has a lot of choices. Lanza being their best but you have to preorder. The do large orders too for wineries etc... but I dont know how they discount. Another thing that I looked into was a grape broker in Washington. At the time for a half ton, it was $1.00 pound and $500 delivery fee. I needed the delivery to be to a place that has a deck or forklift. These were Washington grapes.

http://www.winegrapebroker.com/

Finished picking, crushed and pressed this morning.
Got 15L free run, pressed to 21L.
Pressed another 5L for drinking juice or making jam.

Even though with refractometer I was seeing 18-23 brix, this pressed is just 17.5. So added sugar to bring it up to 20.
pH 3.27

A smaller harvest than last year, I got about double the juice then. this summer was very dry though so fruit was smaller.

20180828_065932.jpg

It may be too far for most, but CFPwinemakers in Pittsburgh has a lot of choices. Lanza being their best but you have to preorder. The do large orders too for wineries etc... but I dont know how they discount. Another thing that I looked into was a grape broker in Washington. At the time for a half ton, it was $1.00 pound and $500 delivery fee. I needed the delivery to be to a place that has a deck or forklift. These were Washington grapes.

http://www.winegrapebroker.com/

Going to have to look into the Washington grapes for next year, thanks.

So, with all the commotion on this, I'm trying to find a local (virginia, MD, east coast, etc) that wants to carry frozen must pales. Anyone know of a store that might be interested?

When i buy locally i buy from Jays Brewing, in ManassasVA. I wrote to them and will wait and see what they say, but it seems like if we got someone started with frozen grape must first, it wouldnt be much further to grow that into a source of grapes

So, with all the commotion on this, I'm trying to find a local (virginia, MD, east coast, etc) that wants to carry frozen must pales. Anyone know of a store that might be interested?

When i buy locally i buy from Jays Brewing, in ManassasVA. I wrote to them and will wait and see what they say, but it seems like if we got someone started with frozen grape must first, it wouldnt be much further to grow that into a source of grapes

Couple thing for you, First where are you located? I use Jay's myself on occasion but they are cater almost entirely beer making, plus I'm not sure they have a freezer. Second when you posted about the barrels I had no idea you were local. I'm in Chantilly. I ordered 10 barrels and have 4 left. Two 25s and two 30s. $182.50 ea for the 25s and $192.50 ea for the 30s.

I used to go to Jay's when I lived in Bristow. I now live in Chantilly - pretty close to Fred. As Fred mentioned Jay's seem to cater to brewers. I know they're under different management now, but Derek, who used to own it was very helpful. The other place that might have enough 'density' to do such a thing is 'My Local HomeBrew Shop' in Falls Church.

As far as wineries, I know 8 Chains near Waterford used to (maybe they still do) make a WA Tempranillo and Syrah (maybe one or two other varietals). You might start there.

Thanks. I'm in Burke, VA. Jays seems to be the most friendly, althougn you're correct. It's oriented toward beer. It seems that brewing is where the immediate money is. Wine kits are great and all (although I've screwed up everyone I've touched), but the money is in stuff like grapes and must which is a high up-front cost it seems and requires a lot of quality control. A lot more work for the profit.

I'll give 8 chains a call.

Couple thing for you, First where are you located? I use Jay's myself on occasion but they are cater almost entirely beer making, plus I'm not sure they have a freezer. Second when you posted about the barrels I had no idea you were local. I'm in Chantilly. I ordered 10 barrels and have 4 left. Two 25s and two 30s. $182.50 ea for the 25s and $192.50 ea for the 30s.

I'm in Burke VA. I just bought a 15 gallon but I'll be in touch shortly for a 25. Sucks making this in the basement of a town home but im progressing. I'm looking to find a larger affordable space to do this

I'm in Burke VA. I just bought a 15 gallon but I'll be in touch shortly for a 25. Sucks making this in the basement of a town home but im progressing. I'm looking to find a larger affordable space to do this

Washington Winemakers will be putting their list out this week. Its Lodi fruit. Pickup in Mitchellville, MD, just east of the beltway off Rte 50.

I used to go to Jay's when I lived in Bristow. I now live in Chantilly - pretty close to Fred. As Fred mentioned Jay's seem to cater to brewers. I know they're under different management now, but Derek, who used to own it was very helpful. The other place that might have enough 'density' to do such a thing is 'My Local HomeBrew Shop' in Falls Church.

I stopped by MLHBS a few weeks ago. They cut their space in half and probably have less wine stuff then Jay's.

I stopped by MLHBS a few weeks ago. They cut their space in half and probably have less wine stuff then Jay's.

Not surprising. I've never been there, but from what I saw on line, their prices were not good at all. I thought they did decent business though.

Finished picking, crushed and pressed this morning.
Got 15L free run, pressed to 21L.
Pressed another 5L for drinking juice or making jam.

Even though with refractometer I was seeing 18-23 brix, this pressed is just 17.5. So added sugar to bring it up to 20.
pH 3.27

A smaller harvest than last year, I got about double the juice then. this summer was very dry though so fruit was smaller.

View attachment 50565
Is that fig trees I see. what do you do with them in the winter?

Just received my local price list. Across the board higher then Procacci. But have 2 questions. First is there any real benefit from buying white grapes as opposed to a juice bucket? Secondly if I remember correctly Pinot Noir is a difficult wine to make, is this correct?

Latest posts

Back