2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This what the Regina/Pia website says about their grapes:

Varietal Wine Grapes
With close to thirty different varietal grapes, we can say we offer one of the best selections and finest quality, house packed wine grapes on the market. Each box of our grapes is carefully selected and hand packed in our enclosed packing facility producing a cleaner, more stable, higher quality packs than is possible in a field pack. And, each box is packed under the close scrutiny of our family ensuring the quality which has made the Pia and Regina labels strong in today's home winemaking market.

https://www.reginagrapejuice.com/products/index.html

This what the Regina/Pia website says about their grapes:

Varietal Wine Grapes
With close to thirty different varietal grapes, we can say we offer one of the best selections and finest quality, house packed wine grapes on the market. Each box of our grapes is carefully selected and hand packed in our enclosed packing facility producing a cleaner, more stable, higher quality packs than is possible in a field pack. And, each box is packed under the close scrutiny of our family ensuring the quality which has made the Pia and Regina labels strong in today's home winemaking market.

https://www.reginagrapejuice.com/products/index.html

Point is, I doubt they give out their sources, and like other discussions about their juice, it's all probably from a number of vineyards they buy from.

Yea they’re pretty protective of their sources.
Paul which Robles grapes you order?
I still need to order and the clone #9 cab sav from Paso Robles is on my radar.
Likely grabbing my Muscat and Alicante this week too. And I think I’m gonna do my 1st full white ever with a Sauv Blanc juice pail too.
Shootin from the hip for this entire harvest it feels like.

Yea they’re pretty protective of their sources.
Paul which Robles grapes you order?
I still need to order and the clone #9 cab sav from Paso Robles is on my radar.
Likely grabbing my Muscat and Alicante this week too. And I think I’m gonna do my 1st full white ever with a Sauv Blanc juice pail too.
Shootin from the hip for this entire harvest it feels like.

The old vine zinfandel. Shifting my zin to Gino's this year, they are due in on the10th. Getting lugs of something tomorrow from Procacci, looking at the premium syrah, but not sure.
Will get another bucket of suav blanc or viognier.

I need to try the D*** red one of these years.

Remember that sauv blanc I made last year was oaked during bulk. Med American.

I think the Clone #9 is a good choice. Good luck with it all.

Here is the premium list. One's with check marks are in. Most of non premium list is not in either yet. Grapes will be trickling in all next week.

Just got two buckets of sauv blanc today. I've decided to go with a petite syrah and a cab sauv with the rest of my grapes. Going to wait until all the grapes are in.

They had a cab sauv/alicante in the barrel for tasting this year and it is quite good.

The best I could get from them as to AVA or sources was some central valley and some lodi.

IMG_20180901_144447962_HDR_1.jpg

Collingswood Grape Co. wouldn’t tell me the name. And I understood so I didn’t push. Since the Hershey winery wasn’t using the higher quality grapes offered he didn’t want to put their business out there like that.
They actually have some really good wines, I think most of them come from their own grapes and local grapes. Their technique maximizes what they can get out of their ingredients, they are all pretty much fermentation nerds from what my brother said. I'd love it if they used to top shelf grapes, I can imagine they'd make some awesome wine from them.

Still, I need to go visit, always a good thing to see how production techniques differ from small quantities to larger ones.

Here is the premium list. One's with check marks are in. Most of non premium list is not in either yet. Grapes will be trickling in all next week.

Just got two buckets of sauv blanc today. I've decided to go with a petite syrah and a cab sauv with the rest of my grapes. Going to wait until all the grapes are in.

They had a cab sauv/alicante in the barrel for tasting this year and it is quite good.

The best I could get from them as to AVA or sources was some central valley and some lodi.

View attachment 50666

Thanks Paul, I'm so undecided as of now, still waiting for S&S pricing and even though not likely my fingers are crossed for my local Tannat. So as of now I'll either be making a lot or a little. But I do have my eye on that Brunello.

Thanks Paul, I'm so undecided as of now, still waiting for S&S pricing and even though not likely my fingers are crossed for my local Tannat. So as of now I'll either be making a lot or a little. But I do have my eye on that Brunello.

You have options go with what feels right.

View attachment 50666

Hmmmmm. Wonder a) whether they're open on Monday; and b) do the crush and destem (though I think the answer I saw here was "no."

Latest posts

Back