2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the same graph that I use; the top line is .8 molecular, and the bottom line for red wine is .5 molecular so2.

On MLF, my goal is 0 ppm til MLF is over, along with good sanitation practices and topping up.

I have adopted this approach as well. I'll know this coming week it's progression. I'm only expecting the Pinotage to be possibly complete at close to 60 days since crush.

I found this chart that gives you highs and lows. It appears the single line graph is the high range.

https://www.accuvin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/How-SO2-and-pH-are-Linked.pdf

Look again and compare your low range values to the red wine line, and high range values to the white wine line. Your graph is showing the range between the two different molecular values. It’ll work just fine for you, use the low range values for reds, highs for whites, good to go.

hi
I Am Truly excited for 2018 season, with prospects of access to higher quality Chilean grapes! I’ve purchased in the past from Chile, but only had access to Curico region, which is not necessarily optimal for the type of reds that appeal to my tastes. After doing some reading, I think I am ready to try my hand at Chilean wines again. My goal was to get my hands on something from Alto Maipo, renound for their “Bordeaux of South America’ or a Cabernet from Apalta in Colchagua.
I found one company, Corrado, in Clifton, NJ, who was able to get the produce for me, but after digging and contacting a company I worked with in the past, Collinwood Grape Co. (they also gave me the option of Carmenere varietal from Peumo, which I’ve not put my hand at, heck, maybe I’ll do a barrel if I the mood strikes me when I see the grapes!) I’m rather particular about the produce I’m willing to buy, mostly because I have an appreciation for a darn good glass of wine. I also don’t want the extra work that comes along with lower quality grapes. These ones have been promised to be free of vegetative flavors and picked at optimum levels of ripeness. I’ve also read that the particular growers producing these grapes yield fruit that is equivalent to the quality I can get from Napa or Sonoma… Regardless, going to be a great year for Cab for me…

hi
I Am Truly excited for 2018 season, with prospects of access to higher quality Chilean grapes! I’ve purchased in the past from Chile, but only had access to Curico region, which is not necessarily optimal for the type of reds that appeal to my tastes. After doing some reading, I think I am ready to try my hand at Chilean wines again. My goal was to get my hands on something from Alto Maipo, renound for their “Bordeaux of South America’ or a Cabernet from Apalta in Colchagua.
I found one company, Corrado, in Clifton, NJ, who was able to get the produce for me, but after digging and contacting a company I worked with in the past, Collinwood Grape Co. (they also gave me the option of Carmenere varietal from Peumo, which I’ve not put my hand at, heck, maybe I’ll do a barrel if I the mood strikes me when I see the grapes!) I’m rather particular about the produce I’m willing to buy, mostly because I have an appreciation for a darn good glass of wine. I also don’t want the extra work that comes along with lower quality grapes. These ones have been promised to be free of vegetative flavors and picked at optimum levels of ripeness. I’ve also read that the particular growers producing these grapes yield fruit that is equivalent to the quality I can get from Napa or Sonoma… Regardless, going to be a great year for Cab for me…

Better hurry up. I think the window for Chilean grapes is almost over.
Also Corrados apparently hasn’t had spring grapes for a couple years now. They have taken orders only to alert at the last minute that they would not be getting any.
I’ve heard the same thing about The curico area grapes in years past- but the quality of grapes for at least the last 2 years have been spectacular.
I don’t know anything about the Collingswood joint, but Gino pintos in jersey and harford wineyard near the border of PA in VA both supply the Curico grapes.
There is one other place that I know of who sell spring grapes near us and they are not the same grapes like the others. Keystone Homebrew. They have 2 locations. One in Bethlehem PA and Montgomgeryville PA.

Here is a little synopsis of what keystone offers in the spring. Tho I think they have just finished up their season. http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Wineries-Slides.pdf
They offer exactly what you referred to. They get Puemo Carmenere, and the Bordeaux varietals from Alto Maipo and Apalta- plus others. But typically ordered well in advance. They only import what has been ordered. I don’t think many spring suppliers bring in extra grapes to sell first come first serve style.

Collingswood grape co seems legit. But they aren’t specific of how they ship and whatnot. It’s not Collingswood, NJ like I thought. Its in Ohio. So if anything I’m assuming they ship as frozen must. I’ve never heard of anyone shipping grapes in anything smaller than half ton.

Last edited:
After I pressed the pinotage 6 weeks ago or so I threw the cake/skins back in the brute w/ lid and placed in my back patio. Completely forgot about it until I pressed my carmenere/merlot last week. Finally yesterday I had a chance to empty both brutes and add to mulch bins. Too my surprise neither brute with skins had any off smells. I was expecting something nasty but it wasn't. Of course this is nothing earth shattering just an observation.

After I pressed the pinotage 6 weeks ago or so I threw the cake/skins back in the brute w/ lid and placed in my back patio. Completely forgot about it until I pressed my carmenere/merlot last week. Finally yesterday I had a chance to empty both brutes and add to mulch bins. Too my surprise neither brute with skins had any off smells. I was expecting something nasty but it wasn't. Of course this is nothing earth shattering just an observation.

6 weeks is a long time. I'm really surprised there are no off odors.

hi
I do buy my Alexander Valley Cabernet and Dry Creek Zinfandel from Collinwood grape in Cleveland ohio
I am very Happy with the Quality I get from them

i spoke to them today and I do know Collinwood is one of the largest suppliers of quality grapes. They supply wineries from NY to Texas. They do not harvest in curico , too far south the owner said. All internet info points to Maipo and parts of colchagua as the best of Chile. Alto Maipo in Maipo is the foothills of the Andes. Apalta is a high elevation in colchagua and also Aconcagua the mountain between Mendoza Argentina and the west face in Chile.

Collinwood stocks Corrado with these high quality grapes. This is actually mid season. Most suppliers bring grapes in too early. Chilean grapes need extra hang time
Per the owner

thanks so I am in time to get my grapes !

Did the chromatography thing today. All but the Cab/Syrah has finished MLF, but it has MLF activity right now. All batches were co-inocculated. I used one packet of vp41, split into 4 portions when I received it. 64 gallons in all. The sangiovese/barbera is from last fall. Pinotage is at 60 days today. All other are less than that.

chroma.jpg

Did the chromatography thing today. All but the Cab/Syrah has finished MLF, but it has MLF activity right now. All batches were co-inocculated. I used one packet of vp41, split into 4 portions when I received it. 64 gallons in all. The sangiovese/barbera is from last fall. Pinotage is at 60 days today. All other are less than that.

View attachment 49087

Nice backlighting, good looking test. Funny how just the one isn’t done, anything different in its background?

Nice backlighting, good looking test. Funny how just the one isn’t done, anything different in its background?

The cab/syrah were juice buckets from SA, I was originally planning to put the pinotage skins in with them but got the buckets before the pinotage was finished and never put them in. The chilean buckets went on the chilean skins. The pinotage was bm4x4 and the rest rc212 yeast-wise.

Two all grape batches and chilean buckets with skins MLF completed already. Jjuice buckets from SA without skins still has a ways to go.

So who knows what actually is in a SA juice bucket as far so2. Numbers were all good, smell is good.

But it seems to be visibly going through MLF at this point

The cab/syrah were juice buckets from SA, I was originally planning to put the pinotage skins in with them but got the buckets before the pinotage was finished and never put them in. The chilean buckets went on the chilean skins. The pinotage was bm4x4 and the rest rc212 yeast-wise.

Two all grape batches and chilean buckets with skins MLF completed already. Jjuice buckets from SA without skins still has a ways to go.

So who knows what actually is in a SA juice bucket as far so2. Numbers were all good, smell is good.

But it seems to be visibly going through MLF at this point

You probably hit the nail on the head, a little sulfite in the juice bucket to inhibit the wildlings in there, a bit less hospitable environment, a bit slower result. Hope it finishes out quickly from here.

Paul that’s a damn healthy looking MLF. Good deal. I’ve got no actual logic to back this up- but it seems like co-inoculation in wine from grapes or juice with active skins seems to fair MUCH better for MLF. I think skins really help it along.
And I really don’t know what to make of this- but figure its worth pointing out. — I did a chroma test 10 days ago with only about 40% of wine showing activity yet all showed close to completion. Now 10 days later activity still very strong in the 40% plus the rest now too. And strong. Pop a bung and surface looks like tiny Mexican jumping beans popping out the surfaces. And I must admit I’ve only stirred up lees once early on. No plans to stabilize for at least another month.

Back