2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did use oak in primary. Apparently not enough. :D

Eh- the oak for primary to hinder vegetal characteristics isn’t exactly full-proof anyway it seems. And what if you did add a lot more? I’m assuming there could be risks in that too and could be way too tannic.
So with good lookin fruit, good acid numbers, oak added to primary and everything seemingly on point, any ideas on what the cause could be?

Like @pgentile stated, Carmenere can have those tendencies. This is only the second one I've made (if you don't count the 2016 disaster) and the first one had it early on too. Took a few years to fully fall out.

Eh- the oak for primary to hinder vegetal characteristics isn’t exactly full-proof anyway it seems. And what if you did add a lot more? I’m assuming there could be risks in that too and could be way too tannic.
So with good lookin fruit, good acid numbers, oak added to primary and everything seemingly on point, any ideas on what the cause could be?

What was the BRIX and pH? Not letting the fruit ripen can contribute, and for fresh grapes shipped from overseas, like other fresh fruit picking and shipping, early harvest helps keep them from going bad. My one batch (cab, Malbec) from Chile exhibited vegetal characteristics, at two years old though, it’s not there any longer.

Last edited:
24 brix. Can't recall the pH, but I do know I added a little tartaric. Will have to go back to the notes.

24 brix. Can't recall the pH, but I do know I added a little tartaric. Will have to go back to the notes.
What yeast did you use? I know some of the yeasts help with under ripe fruit, others enhance it (BDX for example). I tend to go with the ones that minimize the vegetables in the mix, since most overseas fruit is picked earlier than normal. If it doesn't go away, you can always do what @ibglowin did and blend it till it isn't as noticeable.

What yeast did you use? I know some of the yeasts help with under ripe fruit, others enhance it (BDX for example). I tend to go with the ones that minimize the vegetables in the mix, since most overseas fruit is picked earlier than normal. If it doesn't go away, you can always do what @ibglowin did and blend it till it isn't as noticeable.

I used D254.

I used D254.
Lallemand sez:
In unripe reds, ferment 25% to 50% of the lot with ICV D254® and the balance with Lalvin ICV GRE™ to help mask vegetative character.

They don't come right and say watch for unripe fruit like they do for BDX, so as you know time will hopefully lessen the vegetative aroma.

If anything, I'm dealing with slightly overripe fruit. Though the brix was pretty good, pH was 3.9. I'm not sweating it. It's racked, sulfited and on some French and Hungarian oak now. Time is on my side. This wine probably won't even see barrel time until the end of the year.

hi
I do buy my Alexander Valley Cabernet and Dry Creek Zinfandel from Collinwood grape in Cleveland ohio
I am very Happy with the Quality I get from them

i spoke to them today and I do know Collinwood is one of the largest suppliers of quality grapes. They supply wineries from NY to Texas. They do not harvest in curico , too far south the owner said. All internet info points to Maipo and parts of colchagua as the best of Chile. Alto Maipo in Maipo is the foothills of the Andes. Apalta is a high elevation in colchagua and also Aconcagua the mountain between Mendoza Argentina and the west face in Chile.

Collinwood stocks Corrado with these high quality grapes. This is actually mid season. Most suppliers bring grapes in too early. Chilean grapes need extra hang time
Per the owner

thanks so I am in time to get my grapes !

Did you ever get your grapes from Collinwood? He has been promising to e-mail or call when the grapes are ready. But no e-mail/call. I do know that he delivered a bunch to Milwaukee about a month and a half ago and I think it is getting past season. Last Fall he kept delaying my order and finally in November I had to settle for some way over-ripe Tempranillo (very high PH and brix over 30) Needless to say, the resulting wine is somewhat less than promising even after a bunch of correction.
If anyone can suggest a reliable place in the Midwest (near Chicago) for fresh grapes, I would appreciate the info.

Just received this from Zemplen:
I just talked with the cooperage yesterday and they will load the container
Thursday. Custom permit, trucking, train to get to the German port. The ETA to Norfolk is 8/3/18. (Friday)
Hopefully no weather delay, quick US custom clearance and we can bring the container out from the port
the following Monday or Tuesday. We want to send out your barrels on the first available pickup date.
We will keep you updated with the schedule and delivery details.

I don't want to forget anyone so here is what I remember:
I'm taking a 25 and 30, @pgentile & @Ajmassa5983 one 30, @barron4046 or @barrons (if you changed it) and @zadvocate one 25. This leaves 2 of each. If I left anyone out or anyone else wants one let me know.

Thursday. Custom permit, trucking, train to get to the German port. The ETA to Norfolk is 8/3/18. (Friday)
Hopefully no weather delay, quick US custom clearance and we can bring the container out from the port
the following Monday or Tuesday. We want to send out your barrels on the first available pickup date.

I'm taking a 25 and 30, @pgentile & @Ajmassa5983 one 30, @barron4046 or @barrons (if you changed it) and @zadvocate one 25. This leaves 2 of each. If I left anyone out or anyone else wants one let me know.

Hey Fred: Remind me again what you ordered - are these 25 and 30 liters or gallons?

Looking forward to getting this. You are better than Craigslist Fred, carboys, barrels, etc.

Thanks for following through with this

2018 spring harvest, 64 gallons of fresh grapes and juice buckets, is all in bulk as of this morning, with various oak. Final two batches racked this morning. French and american oak, med to heavy, spirals and chips. MLF complete on all.

Some excess from racking tasting will be going on this evening. Cab Sauv/Syrah and Carmenere/Malbec.

Barrel entering the picture in August, fall harvest to think about. Hope everyone is having a good holiday.

2018 spring harvest, 64 gallons of fresh grapes and juice buckets, is all in bulk as of this morning, with various oak. Final two batches racked this morning. French and american oak, med to heavy, spirals and chips. MLF complete on all.

Some excess from racking tasting will be going on this evening. Cab Sauv/Syrah and Carmenere/Malbec.

Barrel entering the picture in August, fall harvest to think about. Hope everyone is having a good holiday.

Well when I grow up I want to be like you. From spring and fall of 2017 and spring of 2018 I have a total of 70 gallons. One season with 64 gallons would be huge for me, I had 31.

Successful MLF.l! Co innocuoated enofem Alpha.
The color on the Malbec is amazing too.
Ph surprisingly went unchanged from crush to post MLF at 3.2. Haven’t racked or tested TA yet tho.
Also went pretty dry with SG at .993. Not sure of my plan yet. Just aging combined with a barrel run might do the trick. But also thinking to tone down the acid somewhat first. I’ll have a better idea after the TA test. Maybe some cold stablezing without any added antacids to naturally drop some out is a thought. Open to suggestions.
Syrah juice with Malbec skins is at 3.3 and a little less rough on the tongue. Color great but not as vibrant as the Malbec. SG read .992. Feeling very good about the potential of these wines. IMG_4240.jpg

Nice to see it's complete. Didn't realize your malbec was that low at 3.2. Remember my problem 2017 malbec was at 3.15. But you already made it past mine where the problem arose in secondary.

Nice to see it's complete. Didn't realize your malbec was that low at 3.2. Remember my problem 2017 malbec was at 3.15. But you already made it past mine where the problem arose in secondary.

Yup- so far so good. Only concern now is optimal acid for aging. I really don’t wanna start messing with it too much. But 3.2 is kinda low. Maybe I’ll just give em a cold soak over the winter.
And this ph of 3.2 doesn’t even register on “problem scale”. I’ve got myself some fully dry, malo free, healthy wine ready to let Mother Nature and Father Time do what they do!

Latest posts

Back