2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the Spring 2018 season crush and press is done. Started MLF and a Chromotography test today. Real curious to see if they were indeed going through spontaneous MLF. Can't wait until tomorrow to see the esults.

I did a control test a few days ago. Your analyzing of your MLF activity had me slightly hesitant that all was good with mine. Many factors. Lots of visible activity in d-80 Malbec but zilch in the others. Ph at crush was 3.2 too. And the @boatboy took the last VP-41 so I decided on Alpha. And temps have been only mid 60°’s in basement. IMG_2507.jpg
Rock and roll! So much for a control test. I do love me some co-inoculation.

It looks like you're good with ML, but what happened to that chromatogram? It looks like you kicked it around the basement a few times.

I did a control test a few days ago. Your analyzing of your MLF activity had me slightly hesitant that all was good with mine. Many factors. Lots of visible activity in d-80 Malbec but zilch in the others. Ph at crush was 3.2 too. And the @boatboy took the last VP-41 so I decided on Alpha. And temps have been only mid 60°’s in basement. View attachment 48870
Rock and roll! So much for a control test. I do love me some co-inoculation.

Can't wait to do my ML testing this week.

Just curious with your test, the Malic acid has no Malic acid?

It looks like you're good with ML, but what happened to that chromatogram? It looks like you kicked it around the basement a few times.

Eh. First off, my malic testing acid went bad. I spilled it a while back and tried to salvage the puddle. Eventually it went south.
I was doing a bunch of stuff that night in the wineroom so I was able to use the pippette method using very small amounts- letting dry and reapplying a few times to keep samples small and concentrated. Applied a couple to the wrong spot forced me to squeeze in samples in between others.
Also from test to removal was 24 hrs and dried for another 24 hrs. Not exactly protocol but got the job done.

Although not close to being done this is the results of my Chromo prior to adding the bacteria. It did show signs of spontaneous MLF although I thought it would be more complete, especially the grape batch of CS5-25-18 Chromotography Test.jpg . The Carmenere appears to be done since I used @Boatboy24 Jim's skins which he coinnoculated.

Yea, I was just giving you a few jabs for fun. Co-inoculation seems to work well, I'll get around to trying it some day, I've still been going old-school sequential.

@stickman pics of chroma tests can be a pain. It seems I posted one of the uglier ones. In case your ocd is flaring with ticks because of that unattractive results paper- this cleaner pic is just for you. :)

Finding a good place to read and photograph a chromo test is helpful, backlighting is the key. In my home, a lampshade that is rectangular, with the light on, has become my go to spot, as it really makes the readings pop.

61578340-A073-4CFF-A2F8-5600831B30E4.jpeg

I agree, I also use backlighting and found it does help.

Lighting is everything with these chroma test results. Sometimes comparing progress to previous tests can easily be inconclusive. I like to edit the pic too. Playing with edit features can really enhance the spots.
Ya know, new school. To go along with the co-innoculating :)
IMG_2546.jpg

Can't wait to do my ML testing this week.

Just curious with your test, the Malic acid has no Malic acid?

I compromised the acid after re-bottling some spilled malic last year. And now it had some nasty bacteria growth in there. I filled out the paper before I noticed it. No biggie.
I’ll probably let the new wines go through all of June before I rack and hit with protection. No need to rush. Using the malic strips in the past I saw complete chroma results while strips didn’t. And My fall wines showed full completion but as you can see now have slight malic spots.
So when in doubt- Im waiting even longer. Being properly topped up I’d feel comfortable going all summer I had to. Another month should be cool I think.

Being properly topped up I’d feel comfortable going all summer I had to. Another month should be cool I think.[/QUOTE]

I agree, since having trouble in the past with MLF I've been rethinking S02 quantities. I know there will be other opinions and I may be missing the point in some areas. But I still can't grasp the theory of adding sulfites at or prior to cruch if the fruit is in good condition. Killing off the wild yeast for the short time it is fermenting doesn't bother me. S02, however low, is a product of fermentation and waiting a month or two post AF with properly topped off vessels while assuring MLF is complete shouldn't be an issue as long as there is some S02 present. Lately my goal is 10 - 15 ppm at this stage. Once I'm happy with the MLF and know I'm going to bulk age for a while I'll bump it up to 50-60 ppm still checking every 3 months or so. What I don't have a grasp on is the Ph/S02 chart. If a wine is intended to be consumed in a year or two does the recommended amount have to be that high or is the recommended quantity based on 5 to 10 years in the bottle. Also, is the recommended amout based on uncertain storgae conditions and not a controlled environment? I'm not sensitive to the taste of S02 but I am to the smell. When I open a bottle of wine what I mostly smell is S02 and it's hard to get anything else.

Being properly topped up I’d feel comfortable going all summer I had to. Another month should be cool I think.

I agree, since having trouble in the past with MLF I've been rethinking S02 quantities. I know there will be other opinions and I may be missing the point in some areas. But I still can't grasp the theory of adding sulfites at or prior to cruch if the fruit is in good condition. Killing off the wild yeast for the short time it is fermenting doesn't bother me. S02, however low, is a product of fermentation and waiting a month or two post AF with properly topped off vessels while assuring MLF is complete shouldn't be an issue as long as there is some S02 present. Lately my goal is 10 - 15 ppm at this stage. Once I'm happy with the MLF and know I'm going to bulk age for a while I'll bump it up to 50-60 ppm still checking every 3 months or so. What I don't have a grasp on is the Ph/S02 chart. If a wine is intended to be consumed in a year or two does the recommended amount have to be that high or is the recommended quantity based on 5 to 10 years in the bottle. Also, is the recommended amout based on uncertain storgae conditions and not a controlled environment? I'm not sensitive to the taste of S02 but I am to the smell. When I open a bottle of wine what I mostly smell is S02 and it's hard to get anything else.[/QUOTE]

On MLF, my goal is 0 ppm til MLF is over, along with good sanitation practices and topping up.

As far as bottling sulfite, try to adhere to the minimums based on pH at bottling time, which should maintain your wine safely for a long time in the bottle. Poor storage conditions will certainly have adverse effects on long term storage, as will crappy corks. I’ve always wanted to take a sulfite reading at bottling, and again at intervals in time, like every year for 10 years to see how it dissipates in the bottle. Think I’ll google for a study........

I've never seen a high/low chart, just the one liner. I tried to google it but didn't have any luck.

The chart I use has two curved lines, one for .8 molecular level (for whites) and one for .5 molecular level (for reds). I consider these points along the curve to be the minimums, you can always elect to add more.

Latest posts

Back