2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I double slopped. Skins from a CS grape batch into a CS bucket. finished fermenting in 4 days, probably 3, then those skins and 2 lugs of Malbec grapes went into a Malbec juice bucket. I fermented this in my cooler since the last one went so fast. Today I'm at .996 and pressing again. Might put them all in the Merlot next.

I have also done similar in the past. The one thing that I learned is to watch the temperature very carefully.

This is not like starting out with dormant packets of yeast. By adding your skins, you are adding considerably more yeast that is also already well established. This results in a much more vigorous ferment. I have had cases where the temp climbed to the point of killing the yeast off.

Monitor the temp, and if too high cool it down (I use empty soda bottles that I fill 3/4 full with water and then freeze).

That sounds really good! 300lbs of skins or skins from 300lbs of must?

I did this with skins from three buckets of cab sav must into a merlot kit. Has turned out nice - also did not have kit characteristics :)

Cheers!
-johann

That sounds really good! 300lbs of skins or skins from 300lbs of must?

I did this with skins from three buckets of cab sav must into a merlot kit. Has turned out nice - also did not have kit characteristics :)

Cheers!
-johann

Skins from 288lbs worth of grapes. No frozen must needed up my way. :) (Assuming lugs actually weigh what they say they weigh)

By the way both the South African and Chilean(Toro Negro) juice buckets state: Contains grape musts, wine yeast, tartaric acid and tannin. They also state separately they may contain sulfites.

I have to admit, that is a pretty nice crusher you got there @Ajmassa5983 !!! Perhaps you could send me a bottle of this vintage??

Use it in good health!

Chilean update. Crusher was fantastic but needed some prep.
First I needed some sort of table. Even saw horses would have needed to be built up. Had an ‘aha’ moment at work looking at the painters baker. Sure as sh** she fit like a glove.
Next I needed a chute and was night before grapes. I cut up some duct metal and did what I had to do. And yes, I am fully aware that’s not the correct material to use. It got the job done for now.
Sucker is HEAVY. And awkward. Got it down the basement in one piece and I was ready to roll. Right away Machine was so powerful it was spraying me with grape juice and skins. I did not anticipate that. Lol. Gypsy rigged a cover and then smooth sailing.
New press worked great too. I pumped free run from the brutes using the pvc method for the 1st time. Leaving caps intact and poking through Worked perfectly. Separated the press run for now. Only a couple gallons anyway. I pressed lightly since I’m reusing skins. And about 20gal of free run before racking. Gross lees is also much less then my other grape batches. Good thing? Not sure. Still keeping the 2 ferments separate aside from press run.
Of course I’ll be sending you some @JohnT, would only be right. I’m super stoked about this Malbec. I made sure to make this as well as possible. Quality grapes. Healthy ferment. Great extraction. Very dry. Will be my virgin barrel run too. Just gotta not screw that up. Its at that cool post AF point where it tastes like it could be bottled and drank right now. All that and you what I’m getting multiple requests for? Freaking Dragons Blood! Go figure.
I don’t know how I’m going to keep doing this 1-2x a year. You really need to love it. Because I am burnt to freaking crisp. The rest of life doesn’t stop just because I got some grapes. The room is a hot mess, got another ferment probably ready to press tonight if I wanted, and family and work will always be the top of the totem pole. Definitely gonna need help in the fall. Here’s some more pics....everyone likes pics.
IMG_2329.jpgIMG_2265.jpgIMG_2306.jpgIMG_2322.jpgIMG_2324.jpgIMG_2382.jpgIMG_2389.jpgIMG_2379.jpg
These last 2 are from repurposing the skins for a Syrah pail to show the amount of juice by itself (with a frozen chunk floating) vs loading the fermented skins after a full cap. Thought it was cool to see how much volume the skins took up. Sucker is all cap!
Salutè

Attachments

• 88CD8F38-777C-4E0D-A44E-277007ED147E.jpeg
    88CD8F38-777C-4E0D-A44E-277007ED147E.jpeg
    716 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Skins from 288lbs worth of grapes. No frozen must needed up my way. :) (Assuming lugs actually weigh what they say they weigh)

Oh cool - I'll be doing similar quantity but I haven't decided yet which kit or juice to use on the second run. Skins will be Syrah, Malbec, Petit Verdot - And I figure I'll use whatever that second run is for a blending source so not sure. I still have one carboy of merlot in bulk age that I did this with last year so maybe something other than a merlot... CS might be pretty good with those blends but I also have a carboy of CS in bulk age now too...

Hmm... Have three weeks or so to think about it..

Cheers!
-johann

By the way both the South African and Chilean(Toro Negro) juice buckets state: Contains grape musts, wine yeast, tartaric acid and tannin. They also state separately they may contain sulfites.

That's interesting, I just looked at my empty buckets and have a Toro Negro Malbec that doesn't say anything and neither does my SA CS. But my Chilean a Merlot and a last falls Cali bucket of Zinfandel do have instructions which does not include adding yeast. Simply says to open the bucket and let it warm to room temperature then gives instruction on fermenting to a certain SG, racking and clearing. For me it's a little disappointing not knowing what you are getting ahead of time.

I wonder what the typical procedures are for making buckets of juice - particularly reds. Is there a cold maceration then press or something?

I would expect whites to be a simple destem / crush / press and probably some level of sulphite but hopefully no other additions unles requested.

Cheers
-johann

From what I gather reading your posts you get your must from a source that accepts special order requests. I don't think there are the same options from these SA or Chilean juice producers. Another thing I found interesting this spring and @Boatboy24 Jim pointed out to me is the harvest date on his Chilean Carmenere grapes was February 5th or so and he received them last week. I never thought to look at my other grape baskets. That's 3 months after harvest, however the grapes looked to be in great shape.

That's interesting, I just looked at my empty buckets and have a Toro Negro Malbec that doesn't say anything and neither does my SA CS. But my Chilean a Merlot and a last falls Cali bucket of Zinfandel do have instructions which does not include adding yeast. Simply says to open the bucket and let it warm to room temperature then gives instruction on fermenting to a certain SG, racking and clearing. For me it's a little disappointing not knowing what you are getting ahead of time.

Unfortunately my Toro Negro carmenere and malbec buckets came with "gape musts".
IMG_20180517_202010364_HDR_1.jpg

SA buckets
IMG_20180517_202045379_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back