2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not sold. This may just mean natural yeast and tannin within the juice. According to musto co. (A pretty respectable company who also sells Toro Negro pails) claim that only Fresco pails contain yeast. And it says yeast on the pail possibly to warn it can ferment without adding your own. IMG_2398.jpg

Unfortunately I agree. for no particular reason EC1118 is my last resort. I don't even use it in fruit wines.

The good thing about it, at least I suppose this is good, it will ferment a shoe if called upon to try. It is a failsafe, low foaming, ferments to completion yeast. Those are also the reasons most kits include it. The only thing I add it to is skeeter pee or dragon's blood, which I don't make very often any longer. But I always have a packet or three in my yeast fridge, never know when you might need to try to restart something and about once every two years something goes awry and needs a kick in the seat of the pants.

I always have a packet or three in my yeast fridge

If you have a dedicated fridge just for yeast....

then all I have to say is...

200w.gif

If you have a dedicated fridge just for yeast....

then all I have to say is...

200w.gif

Well, it isn't just for yeast, it also gets beer and an occasional white wine put into it. Don't get overly awe inspired, it was the fridge my daughter had when she was at college. It is the larger sized dorm fridge, but still not huge. You can't fit a carboy inside of it for cold stabilizing, that's what my spare extra fridge is in the basement for. Yes, I do have two fridges in the wine area.

I really don’t like not knowing for sure of this yeast in juice pails situation. My focus has shifted to mainly grapes, but I still like to make at least 1 bucket a season.
I emailed Musto and then I called because I didn’t feel like waiting. They weren’t able to speak for any juice that they don’t sell obviously- but they did confirm over the phone that no additional yeast is added to the juice. Chile Toro Negro included. Only the Chile Fresco juice has added yeast.
And the print on the side of the bucket is listing what is naturally contained. The tartaric acid, tannin, and wine yeast is not added.

I really don’t like not knowing for sure of this yeast in juice pails situation. My focus has shifted to mainly grapes, but I still like to make at least 1 bucket a season.
I emailed Musto and then I called because I didn’t feel like waiting. They weren’t able to speak for any juice that they don’t sell obviously- but they did confirm over the phone that no additional yeast is added to the juice. Chile Toro Negro included. Only the Chile Fresco juice has added yeast.
And the print on the side of the bucket is listing what is naturally contained. The tartaric acid, tannin, and wine yeast is not added.

I find that odd. No other juice, that I'm aware of, that we consume is labeled that way.

Well I also sent a detailed email. Hoping for a detailed response. But this isn’t juice sold for consumption either. It’s for winemaking. It also says “do not consume before fermentation is finished”. My Minute Maid doesn’t say that either.
I don’t know man. That’s what they said at least. The main thing that makes me think that way is because, well now mainly because they told me. But also they make it a point to specify only Fresco has added yeast. And they sell many brands of juice and must.
What’s funny is that I heard it from the horse’s mouth- but still feel like the person I spoke with might not be as dialed in to the process as I’d want. After all they are only redistributing.
Either way I think it’s healthy to QUESTION EVERYTHING!
Website says none. Phonecall said none. Bucket print contradicts it. Juice fermenting so damn easily also contradicts. Hung jury until further notice.

Well I also sent a detailed email. Hoping for a detailed response. But this isn’t juice sold for consumption either. It’s for winemaking. It also says “do not consume before fermentation is finished”. My Minute Maid doesn’t say that either.
I don’t know man. That’s what they said at least. The main thing that makes me think that way is because, well now mainly because they told me. But also they make it a point to specify only Fresco has added yeast. And they sell many brands of juice and must.
What’s funny is that I heard it from the horse’s mouth- but still feel like the person I spoke with might not be as dialed in to the process as I’d want. After all they are only redistributing.
Either way I think it’s healthy to QUESTION EVERYTHING!
Website says none. Phonecall said none. Bucket print contradicts it. Juice fermenting so damn easily also contradicts. Hung jury until further notice.

I agree. But in the end if it makes an acceptable wine all is good.

I agree. But in the end if it makes an acceptable wine all is good.

Fo sho. Now it’s just for peace of mind. I just want to know. I’m supposed to working on an estimate and keep getting sidetracked by this yeast nonsense! Calling subs? Nope. Calling musto! I gotta get a life.
My best wine to date is from a juice bucket. A Cab. Unlabeled and accidentally discarded bottle that aged 3 or 4 yrs.

Fo sho. Now it’s just for peace of mind. I just want to know. I’m supposed to working on an estimate and keep getting sidetracked by this yeast nonsense! Calling subs? Nope. Calling musto! I gotta get a life.
My best wine to date is from a juice bucket. A Cab. Unlabeled and accidentally discarded bottle that aged 3 or 4 yrs.

I hear you on the work thing, I'm trying to make headway on some software coding the past several hours, but I keep getting sidetracked.

My juice bucket wines have gotten better since I started using skins in them, MLF and blending. But my first all grape batch, sangiovese, is still my best to date. Unfortunately there are no more bottles of it left.

Been working on a bid myself but fortunately or unfortunately I didn't have time to get side tracked. I too have a need to know. For what reason I can't remember but my mother used to say on different occasions "that's why God gave us a brain" and it has always stuck. If the bucket is listing ingredients it's missing citric and malic acid, fructose and any number of other things. It's aslo funny that buckets from different regions of Cali, Chili and SA all have the same ingredients listed and why is it a warning instead of an ingredient list. I agree with it's healthy to as questions and if it makes a good wine all is good. Being a beginner and as much as I have learned to date I feel I don't know very much yet. Too much information just comes and goes without me retaining it. Although I'm having fun with the inconsistencies that go along with winemaking I wish it were more like math, one question one answer.

Been working on a bid myself but fortunately or unfortunately I didn't have time to get side tracked. I too have a need to know. For what reason I can't remember but my mother used to say on different occasions "that's why God gave us a brain" and it has always stuck. If the bucket is listing ingredients it's missing citric and malic acid, fructose and any number of other things. It's aslo funny that buckets from different regions of Cali, Chili and SA all have the same ingredients listed and why is it a warning instead of an ingredient list. I agree with it's healthy to as questions and if it makes a good wine all is good. Being a beginner and as much as I have learned to date I feel I don't know very much yet. Too much information just comes and goes without me retaining it. Although I'm having fun with the inconsistencies that go along with winemaking I wish it were more like math, one question one answer.

I’m just reporting what the website said and what I was told over the phone. Not trying to convince anyone of anything. And it is 2018 so if you say you believe the earth is flat then I politely respond with “even though I have a different opinion I also respect yours “
Here’s a pic of the Regina bucket just to keep this derailment going even further. No yeast listed. And has been said to me for many years from Procacci Bros that they do not contain any added yeast. IMG_2401.jpg

Luckily I WAS able to get sidetracked because I don’t even want the job anyway. 2nd time re-doing the bid to beat up the numbers. Initially a decent fit-out in old city for a video game developer - but now a hassle that I’ve spent too much time on that on the cusp of being a loser. My grandfather taught me something I’ve held onto as well. “It’s better to not submit a bid rather than to submit a loser”.

I’m just reporting what the website said and what I was told over the phone. Not trying to convince anyone of anything. And it is 2018 so if you say you believe the earth is flat then I politely respond with “even though I have a different opinion I also respect yours “
Here’s a pic of the Regina bucket just to keep this derailment going even further. No yeast listed. And has been said to me for many years from Procacci Bros that they do not contain any added yeast. View attachment 48702

Luckily I WAS able to get sidetracked because I don’t even want the job anyway. 2nd time re-doing the bid to beat up the numbers. Initially a decent fit-out in old city for a video game developer - but now a hassle that I’ve spent too much time on that on the cusp of being a loser. My grandfather taught me something I’ve held onto as well. “It’s better to not submit a bid rather than to submit a loser”.

Now wait a second, from what I recall from a past thread, don't you have a rep to maintain. If I remember correctly you have been reprimanded in the past on this forum. If you keep politely responding you are going to lose your image. BTW, what is your opinion of the earth? LOL

If the earth is flat what's on the bottom side? How thick are the edges? Where are the edges? Are there stars on the bottom side? Is it a flat square or round? The moon is round. Is the bottom side where the devil is?

Also are there satellite images of the bottom side? Is the government keeping them secret?

Sorry cocktail hour came a little earlier than normal this friday.

Now wait a second, from what I recall from a past thread, don't you have a rep to maintain. If I remember correctly you have been reprimanded in the past on this forum. If you keep politely responding you are going to lose your image. BTW, what is your opinion of the earth? LOL

Wow. Sounds more like a cocktail of booze and some medicinal Paul! Well... flat or round- this thread’s tether is cut. And now in orbit. (“Earth is flat” was an NBA’er Kyrie Irving reference from last year btw)

And mainshipfred, if that’s the case I’m not sure I want that image anyway! And fwiw- not “reprimanded”. I’d say “made aware of WMT rules” a few times by diff moderators. And never for being mean spirited. But tip-toeing that line of acceptance it can be easy to slip up and step across sometimes. I don’t necessarily feel I was in the wrong for all of em- but I do respect the rules once made aware.
I’m hoping I receive a nice detailed response from Musto to set the record straight about the buckets which you know will be shared here.

I’m gonna go ahead and cut the wheel to bring us back down to earth-
Because 2018 Grape and Juice season is 100% underway and now in Full Swing! Currently in the midst of:
-Racking 20+ gal of Malbec off the gross lees and discarding for a few weeks.
-Pumping out Syrah free run
-pressing the skins for a 2nd time
-full cleanup - eh..probably tomorrow.
Then enjoying a Friday night after a very long week.
***Paul- Über is your friend tonight**

Back to winemaking, I'm pressing today. Was only at 1.014 and 1.012 last night, but tomorrow is my anniversary and Monday I have work, followed by a Nats game w/ a neighbor. Sometimes, life really gets in the way. :p

Latest posts

Back