2018 gardening season!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still waiting for our first harvest. Strawberries aren't too far off.
My poor green bean plants are being destroyed by pill bugs. I've gotten some poison that should help, and I've been doing out each morning and blow torching as many as I can find.

Wooohoooo!

Lettuce is booming. Ran up to the garden, did the "cut on come" harvest on 3 of the 12 plants of romaine, then gave it to SWMBO where she whipped up a simple Ceasar salad with grilled chicken. Added some croutons for added CRUNCH. From ground to tummy in one hour! I love it.

Strawberries need harvesting and radishes are starting to come in.

thumbnail1.jpg thumbnail2.jpg

Local climate is a funny thing. Radishes season here is long over: they bolted weeks ago and were removed. Lettuce is bolting now. Peas are about done. First cucumbers are now ripe and the vines are about 5ft/1.5m tall on the trellis and will need to start dropping them soon. Already have young tomatoes. Will plant my last corn starters today or tomorrow (I stagger my plantings to lengthen the fresh corn season). About ready to plant late season carrots, parsley and parsnip (we just leave them in the ground and harvest them all winter, while the ground is not frozen).

And I am sure someone, somewhere, in a different local climate, was at where I am now weeks ago. :)

And all this reminds me: I will need to setup the solar dehydrator soon to start processing the vegetables from the garden.

Last edited:
Is that a Genovese basil? I grow that all the time but my seeds didn't spout this Spring (they were pushing 5 yrs old). Guess I need to get some new seeds. I love that for a fresh basil pesto, so fragrant.
Try it sliced thin and mixed into scrambled eggs!

Yum.

do you guys suppose that it's to late to put corn in?
i'm zone 7 but i hurt my knee at planting time.
i'd just like a dozen ears or so.

do you guys suppose that it's to late to put corn in?
i'm zone 7 but i hurt my knee at planting time.
i'd just like a dozen ears or so.

Agree, to give it a try. But I would recommend to start your corn in small pots. Just like other starter plants. That way you can give them the best soil, temp location, watered, etc. to get them growing well. And only plant the ones that come up. And when they are a few inches high.

We've been eating lots of strawberries so far. Lettuce also is edible already.
We have several zucchini that that look like they will be ready later this week, some cucumbers going, tomatoes visible but about 2 weeks out I'm guessing.

20180615_153710.jpg 20180617_072854.jpg

But the veggie garden is exploding. I even got my first zucchini!

View attachment 49385 View attachment 49384

Looking good. Some of your stuff is way ahead of mine. I have a similar amount of pots on my roof deck. Over the weekend I installed a Raindrip automatic irrigation system. For 18 years i have struggled with keeping the pots from drying out in July and August on those 10-12 hour work days. Water heavy in the am before I leave and then get home and some dry as a bone. Mulching and other tricks weren't enough for tomatoes.

Good luck with it all

Back