Fertilizing established grapes.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i didn't know that! Every test I've ever had done included it. The more you know!
The cheaper tests include it but your nitrogen levels today could be different 2 days from now it really does fluctuate so much it’s not really useful to know generally speaking adding nitrogen is usually just something you have to do because the vast majority of the time your going to be deficient in it.

Mehlich 3 which is the most accurate soil test method doesn’t check for it by default. You also have soil bound nitrogen and nitrogen in the form of nitrates which is the more important of the 2 to check and has to be requested.

Cheaper soil tests are not going to be massively inaccurate but they are inaccurate compared to a professional lab.

Here are some soil test results of my house vineyard from this year. And the last one is from 2023 end of the year and is an example of changing soil and poorer quality soil testing.

IMG_0611.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0612.jpeg
    IMG_0612.jpeg
    569.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0614.jpeg
    IMG_0614.jpeg
    587.9 KB · Views: 0
So much information. 😅 I ended up putting the triple 16 on at 1/3-1/2 cup per plant. I dropped it about one foot from the trunk of each plant. We have had 15-30 inches of rain in over the last several months so all the granules have dissolved. It’s been in the 50’s most days, we’ve had a couple 60’s to 70 degree days and the buds are pushing. Bud break usually occurs around the middle of March here and it looks like it’s right on time this year. Excited to see how the plants look.

My BIL is a generational farmer. He says current literature says that we can only alter the top 4 inches of soils with amendments. He recommends taking a sample from within that layer and getting it tested. Then the following year doing the same.

So much information. 😅 I ended up putting the triple 16 on at 1/3-1/2 cup per plant. I dropped it about one foot from the trunk of each plant. We have had 15-30 inches of rain in over the last several months so all the granules have dissolved. It’s been in the 50’s most days, we’ve had a couple 60’s to 70 degree days and the buds are pushing. Bud break usually occurs around the middle of March here and it looks like it’s right on time this year. Excited to see how the plants look.
Add a second dose after bloom because the vines will need it that is the heaviest growth point and will help get good quality grapes.

My BIL is a generational farmer. He says current literature says that we can only alter the top 4 inches of soils with amendments. He recommends taking a sample from within that layer and getting it tested. Then the following year doing the same.
That’s inaccurate and not only is it inaccurate it won’t benefit grapes most roots are deeper you want the sample from 6 inches it will be inaccurate and won’t paint a picture of what the vines can actually uptake. Also top 4 inches can read high due to high concentrations of surface nutrients which can skew a soil test.

I've been spreading fresh manure every other year and watering it in if its dry. Had my largest harvest opportunity this past fall (year 5) after application although birds got to most of it, this year nets are going in.

40 - la crescent vines
50 - marquette vines

I've been spreading fresh manure every other year and watering it in if its dry. Had my largest harvest opportunity this past fall (year 5) after application although birds got to most of it, this year nets are going in.

40 - la crescent vines
50 - marquette vines
Be careful with manure a lot of it can be contaminated with herbicides that pass through the animals and can kill grapes and other plants. Make sure you trust where you get it.

It’s just something to keep in mind, I also recommend doing frequent soil tests.

Latest posts

Back