2014 Elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I read somewhere that all elderberries are toxic and require boiling for 30 minutes before use.

Someone got sick from drinking too much fresh pressed elderberry juice.

I think I read somewhere that all elderberries are toxic and require boiling for 30 minutes before use.

Well I have been making elderberry wine for 9 years and I have never once boiled the berries.

How am I supposed to know really, dont even know what state you are in right? Probably put them where there is more sun and where they can be watered if they need it. Good luck with them. WVMJ

Oops, I forgot it's my HBT account that I have everything filled in, lol. I'm in Reading, PA, that's sorta SE PA. Hmm, well my house would definitely have sun, they'd be in a west-by sw exposure, gets sun most of the day. At my Mom's I'd have to check where I'd be able to plant them. Thanks for the advice, Jack.

Have made wine from raw juice, steamed juice, and boiled juice. No one ever got sick from the result.

My aunt makes elderberry jelly from boiled juice that she does not separate from the stems. Seems boiling them kills and poisions.

to the best of my knowledge the poison is in the wood.

Be on the lookout for spotted drosophila next year, they really like elderberries. WVMJ

I have several wild elderberry bushes on my property. I have never heard of spotted drosophila. Is this an insect or a disease? When do you see it? On the plant? On the berries? I would like to try a elderflower wine sometime but don't want to sacrifice the berries. I think I will have to take some cuttings and start some more plants.

Mary Lou

2 years ago some elderberry lovers from PA told everyone on here about seeing some little fruit flies on their bushes. Turns out they lay their eggs just as the fruit is getting ripe, we watched in disgust 2 years in a row now as the berries fall like rain when we show up to pick them. Needless to say was are refining our elderflower recipies. These flies are also hard on cherries and late ripening berries. WVMJ

I live in Missouri. Has anyone here seen the dreaded drosophila?

Mary Lou

My sample size is not that big but I picked 40# from various locations last year and saw no sign of drosophila.

Now I hope I didn't jinx us.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I made some elderberry dragons blood a couple of weeks ago from some berries I had in the freezer and I want to try regular elderberry wine this summer. I am definitely going to take some cuttings and try propagating some more plants. I am also ordering more blackberry plants this spring. The 60 degree temps this weekend really have me in the mood for some digging in the dirt.:db:db:db

Mary Lou

You guys picking and growing elderberries, this season try to dry some in a dehydrator, the taste of the dried ones is different than the taste of the fresh berries, kind of like raisans compared to grapes, you can then use them at the same ratio of dry to fresh or even a little more and it makes a very good mead or wine, plus a little oak. WVMJ

@WVMountaineer jack do you think trying same idea with sour cherries would be a good idea too? Drying them in a dehydrator?

I havent done it so can only say go for it, we sometimes add the dried cherries to port wines just to add some extra flavors. The dried elderberries you sometimes get at the store might have been dried for a long time, we vacum pack ours after they are dried and it keeps them fresh. WVMJ

I think i will if I get a lot of cherries this year. Some years I will get so many too many to use so i freeze and have dried. I will have to try wine this fall with dried. Dried nice because you can use them when them temp go down or when ever you want that year.

I have never made wine from dried fruit. I do have a dehydrator so I could dry some elderberries. How many lbs. or oz. do you use per gall. of wine? Do you reconstitute them before making wine or just add them and water with the other ingredients.

Mary Lou

Well, we weighed them first and then dried them and weighed them and did an equivalent amount of elderberries vs the same amount of fresh berries and then one with a lot more dried elderberries. We found the equivalent one to be good while the one with way more a little bit to much so we found a sweet spot in the middle that we like. We take the elderberries and soak them in cold water overnight, a least a double volume of water to berries, then bring them to a boil the next morning and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes and then let it cool and dump in a fermentation bag. Got it all on our webpage, it also really takes oak well. Making this into a mead is our absolute favorite way to make elderberry. WVMJ

I have never made wine from dried fruit. I do have a dehydrator so I could dry some elderberries. How many lbs. or oz. do you use per gall. of wine? Do you reconstitute them before making wine or just add them and water with the other ingredients.

Mary Lou

Thank you for your reply WVMJACK. Wow ! I just visited your website. It is definitely everything I ever wanted to know about elderberries. I really appreciate all the info you have posted.

Mary Lou

Last edited:
Question... on drying the elderberries how does everyone do it? Is in oven ok? I do have a dehydrater they so little they would fall through the rack. When you do are they real dry brittle or raisin like? Thanks

Latest posts

Back