2014 Elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the color/style of the second run batch using the skins? I did that last year to make what the recipe termed an "elderberry rose," but you used more than double the amount of skins in the second run.

When I made this 2 years ago using the skins, it was just as dark as the intial run. I usually steam my berries and didn't steam quite as long which left some juice to be extracted. I used approx 35 lbs of berries for a 3 gallon batch with 1 1/2 gallons of water and 3 cans of grape concentrate for acid and body.

went out on the quad today and checked on the elderberries, next week they will be ready to pick and that means the ones at camp should be ready the following week, which is also the weekend my daughter is getting married, hmmmmmm! :i

went out on the quad today and checked on the elderberries, next week they will be ready to pick and that means the ones at camp should be ready the following week, which is also the weekend my daughter is getting married, hmmmmmm! :i

Tough dilemma, looks like you will be having someone pick in exchange for wine...lol

Elderberry round 1

I made what was supposed to be 3 gal batch...it may be more like 3.5 or 3.75.

I didn't steam, but I used this recipe, with a cold soak.

Then I pulled the skins/berries out at the start of fermentation day 4. I put those back in the freezer because I'm going to combine with those from another batch, then do a second run batch with a double dose of leftover skins/berries.

stressbaby, did you add the amount of sugar called for or did you add enough to give you the sg you were aiming for? I always make a second run from my elderberries but I make a niagara and add the elderberries to it. I have also done this with a cherry as well.

stressbaby, did you add the amount of sugar called for or did you add enough to give you the sg you were aiming for? I always make a second run from my elderberries but I make a niagara and add the elderberries to it. I have also done this with a cherry as well.

I added sugar to 1.088.

I was otherwise happy with the Keller second run recipe which uses bananas and Welch's white grape concentrate. However, this year I'll use with 2-3x the amount of skins that his recipe calls for.

I still have not done anything with the Elderberry. Once I start I'm thinking of going 6-7 lbs per gallon which will yield around 17 gallons of elderberry. I'll take the skins after steaming and make a 2nd's batch as I did 2 years ago. I'm guessing I should end with 20-22 gallons of elderberry after all is said and done. Unfortunately I won't get this started until after the holidays. Need to invest in a tank so I can free up some carboys...

It's quite obvious I have not started steaming yet. I think this will now become an after Christmas task...I have 3 days off plus the weekend. Seems like a good time to steam 110lbs of berries.

Elderberry 2014

Here are mine. I used 15-16# per 3 gal batch for the 2 first runs (center and right). One with acid blend, one with straight tartaric. I have oak cubes in now but to minimal effect so far. I combined the leftovers for a second run (left).

Thoughts on finishing tannins in elderberry?

Elderberry4.JPG

Looks good SB.. 5 lbs per gallon makes for good flavored Elderberry. I think my 2013 batch was at 6 1/2 lbs per gallon. I'm still waiting to steam my berries which will occur over Christmas break. Hoping for an 18 gallon batch from the juice then I'll do a seconds from the skins and likely combine after the fact which should give me a 24 gallon yield at least for the year.

??What is the point of steam juicing them if you recombine?? Curious and wished I had some elders to give it a try to! WVMJ

Looks good SB.. 5 lbs per gallon makes for good flavored Elderberry. I think my 2013 batch was at 6 1/2 lbs per gallon. I'm still waiting to steam my berries which will occur over Christmas break. Hoping for an 18 gallon batch from the juice then I'll do a seconds from the skins and likely combine after the fact which should give me a 24 gallon yield at least for the year.

About a month ago I found some wild elderberry and just cut some pieces stuck in dirt and they all have big roots already im going to transfer to big pots soon but any advice on keeping them alive to plane in spring? Or sooner? Any advice for growing elderberry would be great or is there a different thread?

Is it cold where you live now. Can you work the soil outside. I buy plants late in season off clearance rack I dig a hole in the ground and bury the pot and all in the ground. Dig the pot up spring and plant when it is warm enough out for the roots. You may loose it if you plant in the soil if it is cold out the new roots would probably not make it through the winter. Or keep in a pot in a shed or garage. Just depends on how cold it gets.

Oh sorry I forgot to say I am in central fl. It gets lower 40's maybe high 30's and do they like wet or well drained soil? Inky property gets pritty wet certain times of year and where I got them from was a thicket next to an orange grove its kinda swampy down there. Does anyone kno what kind of elderberry grows wild in fl? And does it make a good wine? Because I have like 30 sprouting plants if anyone wants any local to me ill give some away

??What is the point of steam juicing them if you recombine?? Curious and wished I had some elders to give it a try to! WVMJ

I generally use this as top up after the 2nds batch is complete, not immediately after steaming. 2 years ago I took about 35 lbs of skins and made a very full bodied 2nds batch. (3 gallons) I used this to top up with and needed a gallon to get from 5 to 6 with one carboy. Whatever I did it worked because it was the batch that won me a Gold Medal. The original batch was almost 9 lbs per gallon.

So I am totally new to elderberry wine making and have a quick question. All of the recipes that I have found call for x amount of pounds of elderberries. A friend of mine gave me some elderberry juice that she was going to use to make jelly and didn't really feel like it. It is just straight cooked down and juiced elderberry, nothing added to it. Is there any way to know how much juice to use per pound of elderberry that the recipe calls for? She gave me 4 quarts of juice.

Based on my experience with steaming I'd use those to attempt a 2 gallon batch of wine. Or, because they are cooked down some, you might want to think of them as an f-pac for a couple gallons of merlot. Think I'd really go for the 2 gallon batch of elderberry.

Back