RJ Spagnols 2006 Ice Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smflyer

Junior
Reaction score
I was given an unopened 2006 RJ Spagnols Ice Wine kit. I believe the date says October of 2006. It has been stored in a cool basement since purchase. I am curious, what are the chances that this wine will be any good?

Thanks

If you were given the kit free of charge ,then there's no dought go for it nothing to loose,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
smiley2.gif
I would
smiley1.gif
I think it will be Ok

I just noticed another post on the forum that if the liquid tastes like normal grapes it should be ok, but the yeast may be bad.

If the yeast is bad, does it matter what kind of yeast I use?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks. I just looked and there wasn't any names on the yeast packet other than RJ Spagnols. It did have an expiration date of 10/2008.

I would be inclined to go with EC1118 (champagne yeast) as Joeswine suggests.
VC

I would use either Red Star Premier Cuvee or Lalvin EC-1118 as these 2 yeasts have the ability to deal with high starting SG's and higher abv.

Fantastic. I appreciate all of your help. So everything else in the kit should be fine?

If the juice does not appear to be oxidized , it will be fine....the clearing agent maybe a problem, I would replace that and the yeast as stated above...Good Luck and go for it...
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back