WineXpert 1st kit. Trinity Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeitGeist

Junior
Reaction score
Hello Everybody!
Just got into winemaking and was going to bottle my first kit over the weekend (winexpert trinity red). I had a taste and it was very acidic. Closest thing I could compare it with would be a 2-3 day old Lambrusco. Any thoughts on this one?

I ended up not bottling the whole batch but instead racked 5 gallons off the sediment (yes, into a 5 gal carboy). The rest I threw into a 1 gallon jug (only filled half since I didn't want to get too close to the sediment) then ended up bottling 3 to see how it would go.

I was planning on letting the 5 gallons sit in the carboy for a couple months. Think I need to add anything to it to cut the acidity?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You just need to practice the 3P's of wine making. Patience, patience, patience. You are tasting "green wine" that hasn't yet matured. I have heard many people say this is one of the better and faster maturing reds that has a decent taste profile for the price paid. That being said wine is not beer. It is in a continuous process of developing and maturing. This wine will take 3-6 months time to be ready to drink. Don't mess with it. Just let it rest quietly for 3 mo minimum (properly topped up).

Hello Everybody!
Just got into winemaking and was going to bottle my first kit over the weekend (winexpert trinity red). I had a taste and it was very acidic. Closest thing I could compare it with would be a 2-3 day old Lambrusco. Any thoughts on this one?

I ended up not bottling the whole batch but instead racked 5 gallons off the sediment (yes, into a 5 gal carboy). The rest I threw into a 1 gallon jug (only filled half since I didn't want to get too close to the sediment) then ended up bottling 3 to see how it would go.

I was planning on letting the 5 gallons sit in the carboy for a couple months. Think I need to add anything to it to cut the acidity?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Letting her rest for the next couple months was my plan but I wanted to check in with those that know more than I to see if I needed to add anything. I didn't want it to go too far down the road in a bad way if I could intervene now and "fix" it now.

Thanks for the reassurance! She will be sitting quietly in my basement at around 60 degrees F for the next couple months.

Perhaps winemaking will help me work on my patience overall...haha

On to the next kit!

The first year is hard for sure. Start buying inexpensive commercial stuff to have on hand so you won't be tempted. Save the bottles for bottling. Rinse, repeat. Sounds like you have a nice cool place to let it age which helps out a lot down the road.

Cheers!

Sounds like a plan. I have a decent cellar I've acquired over the last year or so (100+ bottles) from a variety of different wineries so I have stuff to drink to hold me over while I wait...haha.

I was going to give a go at a kit with skins for my second round...any thoughts on those?

Also, I have 2 buckets of fresh juice on order for April / May so I figure I could get another kit in before then.

Anything with a grape pack or skins will make a far superior wine than any kit without. Thats the good part. The bad part is they will take a minimum of 12 months to mature and as long as 2 years to peak but they are certainly worth the wait IMHO. I like the Cellar Craft Showcase series as well as the RJS Winery series myself.

I made the chilean malbec and trinity red. Bot kits are in the same price class but the trinity was very good very early. The malbec tastes very thin compared. I was surprised by how good this kit was as I only made it to drink early while my higher end kits bulk age.

I've made several of the Trinity Reds and each and every one have produced a nice red wine.

Wayne

I have this kit fermenting now as we started it on Sunday. I will try to remember to let you know how mine turns out.

I have had the Trinity Red aging in the carboy since December. I tried it last week and it is very nice. I'll be bottling it over the weekend along with the Pinot Gris that I made back in February. Now it's time to figure out what to make next...maybe a Merlot and a Gewurztraminer.

Latest posts

Back