1st box wine ugh going boating need help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, we are taking our 25' boat to the Keys on its own bottom for 14 days, in May. Don't want to haul 2 cases of wine & return bottles back. So I bought a 3 L box of Franzia Dark Red to test out. Recommended by our ABC Wine Expert. UGH! Hope we are NOT Spoiled but..... Did not like it at all! Anyone have a rec for box wine. Those plastic bags will store so nice in all the little nooks & cranies on a 25' boat. Please help! Roy

In my opinion Franzia is the cheapest of the cheap box wines. Black Box makes pretty decent wines. At least you got a greater appreciation for your wine :)

Asked about the Black Box Wines & was steered to Franiza, this is by the expert who thought my Amarone ( that I gave him) was worth at least $40! I will try Black Box stuff next. Thanks,Roy

Roy,
Good luck. There are some better box wines that are competitive with mid level bottles, but of the everyday drinking box, which I haven't had in a while, I thought the black box was decent enough. YMMV.

Ted

Ok, we are taking our 25' boat to the Keys on its own bottom for 14 days, in May. Don't want to haul 2 cases of wine & return bottles back. So I bought a 3 L box of Franzia Dark Red to test out. Recommended by our ABC Wine Expert. UGH! Hope we are NOT Spoiled but..... Did not like it at all! Anyone have a rec for box wine. Those plastic bags will store so nice in all the little nooks & cranies on a 25' boat. Please help! Roy

Buy a few of those bags and put your own wine into them, take em along for the ride.

I've only had their Old Vine Zinfandel, but was pleasantly surprised by the Bota Box.

JohnD, thought of putting my wine in the bags, BUT who is going to empty/drink the bag wine first! Also thought of refilling the bags from 6 gal wine kits! For 3-5 day trips we bring bottled wine, just thought for 14 days I didn't want to deal with a bunch of empties rattling around in the bilge! Roy ps Boatboy, never heard of Bota wine, will look for it, thanks.

Last edited:
+1 on Bota. I like it for topping up because it is not objectional at all. Some are quite good.

Google bag in box wine and you can buy the empty bag in a box to fill your own wine into, some even look like a purse you could hang over something and keep drinking even in rough waters. WVMJ

WVMJ, thanks for the idea of empty bags, didn't know they existed. As for drinking in rough weather, we never drink while boating. Unless the anchor is down for the day & weather forcast is good. Roy

WVMJ, thanks for the idea of empty bags, didn't know they existed. As for drinking in rough weather, we never drink while boating. Unless the anchor is down for the day & weather forcast is good. Roy

Well that explains your response to my post earlier about buying some bags and putting your wine in them. You thought I meant buying full bags, drinking the wine that came in the bags, and then putting your own into them!! Sorry I wasn't more clear. You can buy the bags in a variety of sizes, fill them with your wine and dispense with the spout that comes with them.

Whats the point of being on a boat and not drinking while underway, you cant hit anything in the ocean:) WVMJ

Back