Made a SpecGrav mistake, now need help.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bad...I completely missed the fact that you added 5 cups of sugar at the beginning. I'm not the most experienced one here, but I'd probably just let it go.

And I would rack by SG instead of on a particular day...I rack my non-pulpy wines (flower/herb) in the 1.010-1.020 range and if they are fruit wines, pulpy with a cap, wait until the cap doesn't form as much so that they are safer in the carboy.

I see your points, but since I added so much sugar so late, am I in danger of leaving it on the fruit too long? Dad warned me about that - but I don't know where to draw the line on that.

And guys, thanks again for all the help!

EDIT:
Or should I rack it just to get it off the fruit, and then in the new container just put the towel over it again. This would make for an "extended primary ferment" without fruit. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I would not worry too much about it. This is still a relatively short time.I do not think you would want to let it sit for weeks tho.

OK, I racked it into secondary, fitted with airlock.

SG was a pinch over 1.010, like maybe 1.012.

And I saved the slurry for Skeeter Pee, and am freezing the fruit to make a Rose when I have buckets available!

Here ya go!

wine.jpg

The rest of the pix have junk in the background...it's an unused "catch all" area. At least the wine will sit undisturbed there.

OK, the racking is done, it's been a few hours. The airlock is bubbling along nicely.

First time my fiance and her son have ever seen anything like this. They love the "barrel farts" coming from the airlock. She said it was the sweetest smelling flatulence ever created!

Got some coffee wine under a ballon. Started it this morning and it is bubbling furiously. Also started some Fruit Cocktail wine (instead of Skeeter Pee), because I have a whole bunch of cans.

Thanks for all your help! I'll update this thread when anything interesting happens.
-Johntodd

Hehe great, sounds like you are having fun! Feel free to make some threads for your other wines. BTW, something you might do instead of draining and straining the wine into a new container is actually rack it off the lees that are on the bottom with a hose. This way you can avoid getting as much air into your wine and lower the risk of spoilage.

Been wondering about that...it's been so long since I've done this. Dad said he "splash racked" in order to degass it. I put the strainer in there because this was an "actual fruit" wine.

But you guys seem to prefer the siphon method. Now I remember what all those little clamps are for in the equipment box! To control the siphoning!

But what about getting the CO2 out?

That will happen on its own as it degasses through the airlock. Gas goes out, but hopefully not in that way. I believe that splash racking is usually reserved for emergency style situations where there are major SO2 problems. ( If I remember properly)

I use the All In One wine pump and vacuum degas that way. You can wait for it to degas on it's own, but more experienced folks here will say that degassed wine clears better, so I like the fact that each time I rack I'm helping to clear the wine.

Back