Mistake made in winery and urgent help needed!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vitis_Vamvakada

Reaction score
Hi all,
Good morning from Cyprus.

Oenologist here but novice wine maker!!

Have run into some trouble this year in the winery. I dont know how it happen but some misunderstanding/miscommunication led to the pressings being added into the freshly finished wine:

The wine is a dry Syrah.

It is freshly finished:

Alcohol: 12.92
pH: 3.54
Total Acid: 4.2 g/L (expressed as sulphuric) or 85 meq

This wine is bitter, astringent and makes your mouth so gritty, its like you have a mouthful of sand.

Ive never come up against such a problem and i am reluctant as to hot to go about using PVPP, Gelatin and albumen to combat it.

Do i pick one of these agents, two or all three? If a combination will be used , can they be used together? If not, then in which order.

They obviously hit different parts of the phenolic spectrum so what weighting do i give to each? to i go heavy on one and light on the other?

The knowledge is in my head but experience is non existent.

I would appreciate any help by anyone that has needed to use these fining agent for such an issue before.

The wine is now at 7 degrees Celsius between its first and second racking. I would prefer to send it through cold stabilisation first and reduce the acidity a little and see the effect on mouth-feel first then use the agents. If you disagree please give me your pointers. Ask me questions please if you need some clarification. I need to do the best for this wine as i seem to may have lost it....The tannin is very heavy

Thank you all.

Think I would try the cold stabalization first. If that does not fix it, try a few samples with the finings you listed. If one of them works, you can dose the rest of the batch. Arne.

Sounds to me like you added some really hard/harsh press wine that will now take time to mellow out and soften. Bentonite will also help it as well.

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes i did add some real hard/harsh press wine. we are talking about three tonnes of it. It will take time but i am worried about the aromatic profile. I dont think it will last that long.

I do agree with the bench trials and that is what i intend to do, was just asking if you guys had a "recipe" as to go aabout tackling the matter.

thank you all

Back