1st bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
Today was a milestone for me, as I bottled my first wine. Its a Pomegranate started 11-3-'07. 4 bottles and one Grolsch for early drinking. I finished the wine semi sweet with 11.3% AVB, and as there was a small glass left in the jug of course I just had to have it for brunch. Now I need to design a label.

20080109_092630_Pommy_004.jpg

Yes they are as this wine will not be in the winecellermuch overa year I don't think. I started another pomegranate today because it tastes so darn good. George has in stock the bottles & screw caps, as I just cant afford a quality corker right now, and these caps are resuable and will do nicely for me.Edited by: Tomy

Congrat's on your first Tomy........Many, many, many more to come

As Waldo might say, it smelt real good and was right smart tastey. the wine has gone from a pretty raw taste to a fruit forward which has hints of cherry & blueberry.

YA! when that wine making bug bites you its a itch hard to get read of ,don't you think people?
smiley36.gif
Edited by: joeswine

Glad to hear that the first bottled wine is good. Thats the best when right off the bat it works well.

Started another gallon of Pomegranate, added Golden Raisons & French med oak
20080110_153236_Pommy_2_004.jpg

That looks really good...makes me hungry for some fruit....or...wine.

What kind of juice did you use??? Store bought??? Bottled??? Concentrate???

I get kind of antsy in the winter and have the urge to mix up a bunch of 'Jug Wines'....I got all these jugs, bungs, air-locks and packages of yeast...and...Nothing but Time....long way till spring.

The problem I ran into was, one gallon just simply wasn't enough!

I've started making 6 gals of anything I make because the cost is not that much more (about $3.00a bottle)and the benefits are one bottle of wine every night of the week.
Whoo Hoo!!!

I try to do this every month. I think I spend in total, about $75.00 a month ($18.00 a week).

I hit the ATM for a 20 every week and tell Marcy it's for coffee and lunches. Then I tell her, "just think. In a hand full of months, we'll replace or $12.00 a bottle habit, with an 'in house', $3.00 a bottle habit."[chuckles].
smiley20.gif

Handyman, I do the same but with the money that I used to spend on those nasty cancer sticks and save to buy the upper red kits.

The Pomegranate I just bottled was made with Old Orchard Concentrate, 2 cans Pom Cherry $2 cans Pom blueberry. The one I just started was 1 qt 100% pom juice & 1 qt Pom -black current with raisons & oak,because my local grocery didn't have the concentrate, and I wanted to try a different recipe. The 1st batch I used Cote de Blancs yeast, and the last batch Lavin D-47. NW I would use the concentrate because of the Cherry & Blueberry as they complement one another. I love making jug wines because the posibilities are endless as to what flavors one can add. A shot of Mexican vanilla, or a couple spoons of Hershey chocolate, melted orange popsicles, and the list goes on.

We really liked the Cranberry/Apple Wine as well as the Cherry/Red GrapeWine we mixed up last winter using frozen concentrate and bottled juices....they were quite nice, made 3 gallons of each....I have a cardboard case with 6 bottles of each stashed away....

I didn't luck out looking for fresh Cranberries this past Holiday Season...a small local store had some and he still wanted $3.49 a bag ...and they were well past their prime....so he can keep them...I'll use concentrated frozen juice and mix it with bottled juice....

Too many wines on the wish list......and I have so many quarts of steamed juices to use up as well....

Love this hobby more with every batch...the thrill never goes away.

TOMY,like I said before it's an itch that you just can't stop scatching and it's feels and taste so good going down
smiley36.gif
WHATS NOT TO LIKE
smiley9.gif

Hey Joe!
I'm waiting with great joy and anticipation. I bought a bottle filler today from American Brewmaster to replace the one I gave away to my dad with his starter kit (all my extra stuff).
I decided to go ahead and bottle the Blackberry to get it out of sight and let it age in the bottles rather than in the carboy.

I need the carboy anyway, for the next batch of Raspberry & Raspberry Port I plan to make up next week.
20080112_160204_Twins_6mos.jpg

Well. Cigars are in order folks!

We are now the proud new parents of twins!

One boy, one girl, white shepard, golden Lab mix, 6 months old.
Rescued from the animal shelter of all places huh.
Marcy and Iwent to Pet Smart to get aquarium materials and we ended up adopting our babies.
smiley36.gif

By the by, I still got the aquarium stuff but we skipped the trip to Lowe's afterward.

Latest posts

Back