1st attemt at Muscadine Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnew17

Reaction score
This is my 1st attempt at wine making. I started these two batches of muscadine wine in Sept 2012. I am very pleased how they both turned out. The first batch was made with "Southland" purple muscadines and the second batch was made with bronze "Darlene" muscadines. Each batch made me exactly 8 bottles a piece! I would like to thank "Packrat" for helping me through the process. Couldn't have done it without him...thanks!

That is some nice looking wine...too bad its all still in the bottle, but I am sure it wont be for long...

Looks good. I started my first batch of wine, a Muscadine, about the same time. Ended up with 3 gallons still in carboy. Hope to bottle it soon.

Question

Sorry I am new to this site I don't know if the last message went though. I just got into growing my own muscadines how much lbs of grapes did it take to make 3 gallons and did that come from one grape vine or more. Thanks !

Sorry I am new to this site I don't know if the last message went though. I just got into growing my own muscadines how much lbs of grapes did it take to make 3 gallons and did that come from one grape vine or more. Thanks !

Ive got 15 vines at my house, so they came from a bunch of different vines. I used 4 gallons of grapes. Its a very simple recipe using natural yeast. If your interested shoot me a message.

This was my first try at wine making and probably made several mistakes along the way. I too started with about 4 gallons of muscadines in a 6 gallon bucket. I then added water just to the top of the muscadines, not sure how much that would be. The water basically just filled in the spaces between the muscadines.

I think I lost a lot in the racking process because I did not know how to seperate the pulp,hulls, lees, etc that settled on the bottom.

I wish I could source muscadine grapes here in Northern KY. I had two vines, a Carlos and one other, which did not survive the winter, but my 'Southern Home' made it.

The wine looks great, but the bigger question is: what did you think about its taste at bottling, and how did you finish these (dry, off dry, dessert)?

Looks very good. I think you did very well for your first wine. How did you juice them?

I wish I could source muscadine grapes here in Northern KY. I had two vines, a Carlos and one other, which did not survive the winter, but my 'Southern Home' made it.

The wine looks great, but the bigger question is: what did you think about its taste at bottling, and how did you finish these (dry, off dry, dessert)?

The wine tastes good to me and to everyone who has tried it.
Both have a smooth taste. The Southland red wine has a sweeter taste than the Bronze colored wine made from the Darlene grapes. It has a hint of sweetness but has a higher alcohol content i believe.
Looks very good. I think you did very well for your first wine. How did you juice them?

I put the muscadines in a large rubbermade container and crushed them with a thick glass jar.

Latest posts

Back