10 gallon fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StBlGT

Reaction score
Hello. Does anyone know where i can buy a 10 gallon fermentor that has a lid with a grommet so i can put an airlock on. It seems everyone i come across has a lid without a grommet.

Whoever uses a 10 gallon fermenter, what kind of lid do you have? How would the co2 escape with the lid snapped on?

Thanks!

I use primary fermenters that are sold as 10 Imperial gallon (12 US gallon), although I think they are a little smaller. The lids do not have a hole for a bung. However, there are ribs inside the lid to hold the lid away from the lip of the pail. This allows gases to escape and prevents a seal, thus making a bung in the lid useless.

Steve

Hello. Does anyone know where i can buy a 10 gallon fermentor that has a lid with a grommet so i can put an airlock on. It seems everyone i come across has a lid without a grommet.

Whoever uses a 10 gallon fermenter, what kind of lid do you have? How would the co2 escape with the lid snapped on?

Thanks!

If you're just fermenting in a 10 gallon, you don't need to snap the lid down tight, or you can put a towel over it during fermentation. If your personal preference makes you want to have an airlock, you can buy grommets from your LHBS, drill the indicated size hole, and slip your grommet into the hole. You can also order grommets from online brew stores, they are very inexpensive.

Not trying to go against your request but what do you want the grommet?

I use all stainless steel for our wine making and we like it far more than plastic. We use a digital thermostat to control the heater wraps to keep it right at 72 degrees without over heating or wasting electricity. We have two of these running off of one thermostat and it works great. Heats up 16 gallons of primary between the two.

15.5 gallon stainless fermenter container with lid
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

We heat the fermeter to correct temperature using the following:

Heater wrap
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TP9MLFE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Digital Thermostat
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NZZG3S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just starting out and learning a lot here! I have a sauv blanc going now, but i am going to start a merlot with grape skins soon. I have a 7.9gal bucket, but i want to make sure it won't foam over.....so i am looking at picking up a 10gal for my reds and using the 7.9gal for whites.

So i take it that the lid will snap on loosely and still allow co2 to sneak out and not allow much air in....meaning i won't need an airlock, correct?

Sorry for all the questions, but i am new to making wine and want to make sure i won't mess anything up.

I am just starting out and learning a lot here! I have a sauv blanc going now, but i am going to start a merlot with grape skins soon. I have a 7.9gal bucket, but i want to make sure it won't foam over.....so i am looking at picking up a 10gal for my reds and using the 7.9gal for whites.

So i take it that the lid will snap on loosely and still allow co2 to sneak out and not allow much air in....meaning i won't need an airlock, correct?

Sorry for all the questions, but i am new to making wine and want to make sure i won't mess anything up.

You are correct, you don't even need to snap it down, just set it loosely on top to keep bugs and airborn dust, hair, etc. from going in there. For what it's worth, I have three 7.9 gallon fermenters and have never had a foam over.

Since you're just getting going with the fun, you'll probably be using the supplied yeast, probably EC 1118 or another reliable, low trouble yeast, they're typically low foamers. Not that a 10 gallon Brute can is expensive, but you're fine with the 7.9.

Johnd, yes it is the ec 1118 yeast. I am doing 2 rjs kits and that is what they gave me in the kit. Good to know the 7.9 will be okay.....but will the 7.9 be okay with grape skins and oak, too, since it should raise some once they are dropped in?

I may get a 10 gallon, just in case. Just was confused on how the lid worked.

On the off chance it does go over, set the fermenter in a larger container so if it does go over you catch it instead of having to clean it up. A large garbage bag pulled up around the sides works well. Arne.

I can't tell you how many kits I've done in my 7.9gal fermenter - most of them have had grape packs. I've never had an issue with overflow or been close. So to confirm what others have said: you're fine doing kits in a 7.9gal fermenter.

If you want a 10 gallon fermenter they are out there. Some of the wine supply stores carry them in either 10,12 and 20 gallons. They look like this
5120.jpg

One place that carries them is FineVineWines.com although some of the advertisers here may also carry them. Some have grommets while some don't. They are not very airtight so they don't really need an airlock.

I snagged a 10G Brute this Fall with lid from Home Depot (online). The lid snaps but is not airtight but that is fine for what I use it for (Primary for fresh grapes). They are food grade and mine is actually labeled "Ice" IIRC.

Double Daylo...

In the link you gave it looks like the thermostat uses a suction cup probe am I viewing that correctly; is that how you read the temp off the steel pot?

Also, how do you mark the steel to indicate various liquid levels?

I second what Mike said. The 10 gallon Brute from Home Depot is MUCH cheaper than the 10 gallon white fermenter. I have the 10, 20, and 32 gallon. We call them baby, mama, and daddy bear.

Double Daylo...

In the link you gave it looks like the thermostat uses a suction cup probe am I viewing that correctly; is that how you read the temp off the steel pot?

Also, how do you mark the steel to indicate various liquid levels?

Yes. We actually tape them to the outside as well. While it doesn't give a 100% accurate temp of the fluid, the stainless transfers heat well. We have never had a problem with hitting our temps. I set the thermostat at 73 and never worry about it again. Kicks off and on as it needs to even in my 60 degree basement. The wraps don't have a problem heating up the bins even with 8-9 gallons in each bin plus fruit and such

Yes. We actually tape them to the outside as well. While it doesn't give a 100% accurate temp of the fluid, the stainless transfers heat well. We have never had a problem with hitting our temps. I set the thermostat at 73 and never worry about it again. Kicks off and on as it needs to even in my 60 degree basement. The wraps don't have a problem heating up the bins even with 8-9 gallons in each bin plus fruit and such

Thanks. And as I was reading your post I realized that I could make a ruler of some sort to measure liquid height and translate to volume.

We used a gallon jug and filled to 5, 7.5, 10, 15 gallons and marked a measuring stick to easily determine volume.

in the mix

Using a open top fermenter the only item required is a towel to cover the top and a belly band for temp and AIDS in con concentration o or body,just my way.

Back