1 yr vs 2 yr vines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Which is better? I can still order 1 year vines from one of many nurseries or 1 in particular has 2 year vines. Of course, the 2 year are twice as much.

Which do you prefer and why? Do the older vines not establish as well but once established provide fruit sooner?

The way they are sold depends on the supplier. Generally the ones marketed as 2 yr vines are a bit larger, but not always. The time in which they produce fruit should be the same since the age of the vine begins when it is planted, so you plant this year and they are considered one year old at the end of the year. If the place is charging twice as much for two year vines, look for another supplier. Double A vineyards for example charges generally less than a dollar more. See this site www.rakgrape.com Theirs are rated as 1-1 (Grade 1 -1 year) or 1-X (1 year xtra large).

Thanks grapeman; my next post was going to be to ask what everyone thought of that supplier since I was considering the 3 variety pack. Ordered that; 30 (alive vines, woot!) on the way.

Latest posts

Back