Zucchini Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I will back sweeten it yet I like my wine on the dry side will have to wait and see on how it turns out still have time to decide that it is still pretty young

Hi Allie it's been around eight months now since I put together the zucchini wine it has cleared and I will bottle it this week it has a taste of it own not sure what it taste like and it has good body not sure yet if I will back sweeten it yet I have two gallons so I might keep one gallon dry and one back sweeten

sheesh it's been ages since we started that one.. have you got any courgettes in the freezer from this season?

you might have to do this one annually..

Personally I think the apple juice was a good call.. if you still want to sweeten some of it..I'd be inclined to sweeten the gallon with a supermarket apple syrup if you can get it? Worked well with my cider..

when you say it has a bite.. is that strong alcohol or a pepperiness?

Allie

It's been awhile since you have seen this thread brought up so here it is. The wine is ready to be bottled but I have a question before I bottle it how much of the chemical do I put in it to stabilize on a one gallon carboy

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of potassium sorbate per gallon is the recommended dosage.

Last night I added 1/2 tsp. per gallon and Camden tablet per gallon. I was wondering what do you think about putting it in the frig for a couple of weeks before I bottle it

does it have a high acid content?

Last night I added 1/2 tsp. per gallon and Camden tablet per gallon. I was wondering what do you think about putting it in the frig for a couple of weeks before I bottle it

This morning I poured both gallons into a five gallon pail and use a long handle wooden spoon to stir up the wine to degas it I did that about four times then put it back into their gallon carboys

Zucchini Rhubarb combo?

I have way too much zucchini, but also have quite a bit of rhubarb. I'm thinking combining the two. Last year I combined watermelon with rhubarb - came out pretty good. Rhubarb is highly acidic, and zucchini requires an acid blend. Thoughts on the combo?

I have way too much zucchini, but also have quite a bit of rhubarb. I'm thinking combining the two. Last year I combined watermelon with rhubarb - came out pretty good. Rhubarb is highly acidic, and zucchini requires an acid blend. Thoughts on the combo?

I'll be following the replies to this one with interest. I'm getting tired of rhubarb crisps, BBQ sauce, and zucchini bread. :p

I'll be following the replies to this one with interest. I'm getting tired of rhubarb crisps, BBQ sauce, and zucchini bread. :p

I started the zucchini rhubarb wine today - making a 5 gallon batch using 5 lbs. rhubarb, 20 lbs. zucchini. Other ingredients pretty much the same as above x 5, but no acid blend. I'll update every so often.

I got a carboy of rhubarb going right now that when it's ready I am going to add some cinnamon flavoring to it

That sounds very good. My Rhubarb Zucchini is still in the carboy - haven't had time to bottle it. But it smells wonderful.

ZUCCHINI WINE

5-6 lbs fresh zucchini, chopped
2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
1 11-oz can Welch's 100% White Grape Juice Frozen Concentrate
1-1/3 tsp acid blend
1/2 oz fresh ginger root thinly sliced
1 crushed Campden tablet
6-1/2 pts water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Hock, Sauternes or Champagne yeast

Bring 3 cups water to boil and dissolve sugar in it completely. Set aside. Meanwhile, Select, wash and chop the unpeeled zucchini cross-wise into 1/2-inch pieces. Mix all ingredients except the yeast in primary, cover, and set aside for 10-12 hours. Add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir every 6-8 hours for 3 days, then strain off solids and transfer liquid into secondary. Press solids lightly and hold liquid from them, covered. When vigorous fermentation subsides, add reserved liquid, top up if necessary, and attach airlock. Rack after 4 weeks, top up and reattach airlock. Rack again after additional 4 weeks. If wine has not cleared, add amylase according to instructions and set aside additional month. Fine with Bentonite if desired, rack 10 days later, stabilize and sweeten to taste. Wait 3 weeks before bottling to see if wine is indeed stable. Wine should be aged 3 months after bottling.

Gallon batch

Source:

Jack Keller's Website
I started this receipt back in September/October and it is still VERY dark - it actually looks like ale - I have added clarifiers as instructed...does the wine actually turn clear/white or does it stay dark. Just a point - it doesn't taste bad...

I started this receipt back in September/October and it is still VERY dark - it actually looks like ale - I have added clarifiers as instructed...does the wine actually turn clear/white or does it stay dark. Just a point - it doesn't taste bad...
Haven't made this but it's on my list.
Should be clear by now but I would expect some color from the skin.
Shine a flashlight through and/or how does it look in a glass?
Just curious - good enough to make again?

Haven't made this but it's on my list.
Should be clear by now but I would expect some color from the skin.
Shine a flashlight through and/or how does it look in a glass?
Just curious - good enough to make again?

Hopefully, can open these files.....I have attached pictures of the wine in various stages - 1st is right after removing solids and putting into the carboys, 2nd is after the first racking, 3rd is after the 2nd racking and Current is what it looks like now. I did put more white grape juice in it to sweeten it. But is it going to stay that dark? Isn't that strange? Regarding the question about taste - the wine really isn't bad at all!!! Kinda dry in my book so I would like to make it sweeter but right now the color has got me baffled.....thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• 1st.pdf
    628.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 2nd.pdf
    465.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 3rd.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Current.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Did you add more Campden when you racked. I noticed the recipe didn't mention adding more. Some people add more campden (k meta) at every racking, some every other racking.

The large headspace is a concern and the darker color. I'm wondering if it oxydized?

Hopefully one of the old timers will add their thoughts.

Did you add more Campden when you racked. I noticed the recipe didn't mention adding more. Some people add more campden (k meta) at every racking, some every other racking.

The large headspace is a concern and the darker color. I'm wondering if it oxydized?

Hopefully one of the old timers will add their thoughts.
I made Zucchini wine years ago - will have to try to find my notes, I get a bit forgetful cos of age. It turned out to be a decent enough white wine, but not a show stopper. As in your recipe, I included white grape concentrate, no ginger, but the minor details I can't remember off hand.
Do you always make your wine on the kitchen counter? It's not ideal, but these days, because of lack of space, I have to make mine in the spare bedroom.
Two thoughts. Headspace, you definitely need to get those carboys filled up. As BigDaveK said, it could be oxidising. You also need to keep out the light because that will eventually darken them.
Do they taste different, because one is definitely darker, it maybe oxidising faster.
Keep them in the dark and well topped up.
I hope they turn out fine. 😀

Back