Zucchini Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more question before I get started on the apple juice would you use unsweetened juice or sweetened juice.

Last edited:
anything as long as it's free from sorbate/preservatives.

:i

Well Here it is I used the same recipe that you posted at the begining of this post with some changes. I used light brown sugar and apple juice and banana's in my recipe. I used two banana's boiled in two cups of water then I followed the recipe and boiled three cups of water and added the amount of sugar that it called for except I used the light brown sugar and set it aside then I mixed all the ingridentents together then I tested the sg it was well over 1.09 so I had to four cups of water and that brought it down to 1.084 I did take a little slip of the juice and it tasted really good. At this time it has a yellow to light golden look I am excited to see the final product

Well Here it is I used the same recipe that you posted at the begining of this post with some changes. I used light brown sugar and apple juice and banana's in my recipe. I used two banana's boiled in two cups of water then I followed the recipe and boiled three cups of water and added the amount of sugar that it called for except I used the light brown sugar and set it aside then I mixed all the ingridentents together then I tested the sg it was well over 1.09 so I had to four cups of water and that brought it down to 1.084 I did take a little slip of the juice and it tasted really good. At this time it has a yellow to light golden look I am excited to see the final product

I took one cups of water and added one half cup of light brown sugar and brought that to a boil to make sure the sugar was desolved then I added that to four cups of cold water before adding the yeast to make sure I didn't kill the yeast then about two hour later I added two cup of the mixture to the juice mix when I got home tonight the mix was fermenting really good
P.S. the Zucchini I used was ground up with a meat grinder with large size holes

Last edited:
Wow- I would be interested in how that turns out! I am a fan and follower of Allie's style of winemaking

Well with all the changes that I did to this recipe I ended up with about two cups short of two gallons of wine so I topped off with apple juice now it is under airlocks to finish fermemting

Well it has been almost two weeks since I put this wine together so I have a pile of lees sitting on the bottom of the one gallon carboy and you can see it starting to clear at the top of the carboy. looking forward to the next two week so I can take an sg and a taste test of this wine to see how it is coming along will keep everyone posted

Man, you people are diehard and will ferment anything! Is this for drinking or cooking?

I hope this is for drinking It is one of Allies recipes that she helped me modify when I mixed it up it tasted really good

St Allie, I Enjoy your posts your zucchini recipe is very clear and informative. Could you post your favorite cider recipe in the same style?

St Allie, I Enjoy your posts your zucchini recipe is very clear and informative. Could you post your favorite cider recipe in the same style?

You might try to pm St Allie and asking her for her favorite cider recipe I have not seen her on here for awhile:b

I did pm once but there is no hurry and I imagine she is a very busy person. My juice is in the freezer and can wait. what 's your latest project?

my last adventer was the zucchini wine that is mentioned here in this thread with a few modiefication that St Allie recommended that I try it has only been three weeks since I put it together it is a honey colored will post more in a week when I rack it for the first time

hiya Lloyd..

Sorry about that.... thought I had replied to you..:slp

My cider is very simple.. pick all the apples off the trees.. leave on the front porch for a week or so to soften. Then run them all through my breville juicer. Add citric acid to the primary at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon and campden tabs pour the apple juice onto the citric acid as it comes out of the juicer.. Pitch yeast the next morning, ferment out as usual.

I blend all the different types of apple juice to get a good flavour. Don't add any water and use a cider yeast, if it's available to you ( cider yeast improves the flavour of the finished cider). I ferment mine out on the natural sugars so you'll end up with 5-7% abv roughly... depending on the apples that year. you can add sugar to alter the finished abv if you prefer.

This year I threw all the pears into the juicer as well and blended the lot together. Finished sweeter due to unfermentable sorbates in the pears.

if you make it with just apples .. you can leave it dry or sweeten to taste.. last year I sweetened some of the cider with an apple syrup I found in the supermarket ( it was designed to go over pancakes), this worked really well.. you will have to sorbate though if you sweeten..

hope that helps..

Allie :bt

Here it is I just rack my Zucchini wine for the first time the sg was .994 not sure how to tell what the Alcohol content is. I was a little surprise about the flavor it was good but it still has a little bite to it.

Last edited:
At .994 I think it would be considered very Dry. You could use a vinometer. I got mine from E.C. Kraus Home wine and beer making supplies Independence Mo. U.S.A. you pour a little of the wine in the cup and let it drip out the bottom make sure there are no bubbles in it then turn it over and read the meter It is a little difficult to read but I use a magnifying glass male sure you have a good sample with no sediment in it as the cappalliary in the tube is very small. Does anyone else have any other suggestions on finding your Alcohol content? Or more info on the use of the vinometer? if so please reply. thanks., Lloyd

Thanks I will have to keep that in mind the next time I order supplies
Jack

hey jtstar,

looking good..

what will you backsweeten with?

Allie

Back