Zambelli Bladder Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got it resolved, did you use it on the Concord and if so did it work great.

Dean - Yes, the place I bought the press at provided the info on the fix. The schematics were very misleading, whichI found to be quite frustrating. I'm pretty sure that hose clamp will hold because of the barbed nipple. We shall soon see.

Wade - The concord is still fermenting on the skins. They'll be the first grapes to go through the press, probably early next week.

Used the shiny new toy on the Concord last Sunday. It worked faster than I'd ever imagined it would. Took much more time to load the basket and allow thefree-run to collect in my bucket than to do the actual pressing. I'd highly recommend one of these to anyone wanting gentler pressing pressures & faster procesing times. Oh, and they don't weigh much either. An important factor for some of us more mature folks.

Al Fulchino said:
what is the life expectancy of the bladder itself?

Usually about 60-65 years, then you will probably need a lift......
smiley2.gif

We don't know yet how long to expect the bladder to last. When in storage, you are to coat it with vegetable oil to prevent it drying out and cracking. If it should spring a leak, you take it to a bicycle repair shop and they patch it like a tire!

Bonnie Joy and I will need to take photos of the process when we press the Cab Sauv. grapes she is purchasing so you can see how it works. It all happened so fast when we finally figured out how to hook it up that we didn't get any photos taken of the Concord pressing! I think we need to fine-tune the process a bit so that we can control the speed at which the bladder fills, and the Cab Sauv. will give us that opportunity.

Cant wait for more photos. I know exactly what you mean. Being in the middle of a learning process with a large job on hand is not the time to take pics.

OK - now that I actually know how to use this thing I am really loving it. When theconcords were pressed we discovered that cleaning the green mesh basket liner was a pain in the patute. Itreally isn't needed andwe quitusing it. The cleanout between pressings is much faster without it. We just use a sanitized plastic spoon to scrape the skins into a bucket, remove anything on the baseand load her up again. Oh, and I reverse the basket end placed back onto the base because the holes aren't clogged. Here's some snapshots of the thing in action.

Pressing
20101031_200051_Pressing_the_Ca.jpg

Skins Clinging to Basket
20101031_200217_Cab_Skins_-_BP_.jpg

Draining the bladder
20101031_200306_Draining_Bladde.jpg

Bladder between pressings
20101031_200624_Drained_Baldder.jpg

Yes, we're having Barrels & Barrels of fun. I can't wait until next year's harvest so I can play with the toys some more. Sadly, the press is put to bed for another 11 months
smiley12.gif

wow, that looks great!!!!

but your shoulders and arms wont get a work out w that press you have :)

They say a picture is worth 1000 words.

You pressed grapes wearing a white sweatshirt and some light grey sweat pants!
smiley3.gif

That says a lot about that press!

Very Nice!
smiley32.gif

I want one -I want one!!!

Dear Santa

I really have been good this year so could I please have one of these . . . . .

rrawhide

Thanks for the pics as Ive never really seen one in action and had no idea how they work and now I do. Thats cool that it presses sideways!

I have learned a lot on this forum and am happy to share my experiences for the benefit of others.

Latest posts

Back