Zambelli Bladder Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieJoy

Reaction score
I just purchased a BP20 bladder press + am having trouble attaching the input water hose. The manual shows a quick connect on the input side of the pressure valve, which I have not been unable to remove. I'm rotating this plastic piece in the direction indicated - but the thing doesn't seem to be removable. Does anyone know what modification is needed to attach a standard garden hose to the input valve? I crushed whites today + should have already pressed them. Sure hope someone on this forum has an answer to my problem.

Bonnie why not just go get a quick connect end for a hose or a hose with one on already? Hope you get it figured out in time!

Heading to a local "Do It Best" center w/ the press base in the AM. I like your idea. Was afraid to horse too much with the connection cap today for fear of busting it. And I thought this equipment was gonna make the task faster + easier. What was I thinking?

OK - Here are pics of the valaves on the press.

20100919_091600_BP_Valves.jpg
20100919_091732_BP_Quick_Connec.jpg
20100919_091823_BP_Quick_Connec.jpg

If you have bad water pressure does it matter or is the water pressure not a factor in this?

Got brass fittings from the hardware store. That black plastic cap is for pressure relief. Did a test run. Water is NOT filling the bladder. Still trouble shooting the issue. I suspect timing between closing the air relief valve + turning on the water tap. Wade, per your question, I'm connecting to my outside hydrant before starting to press the whites by hand
smiley19.gif

Based on your picture of the valve assembly. Supply water isconnected on the left side using a garden hose adapter. The bladder is drained on the right side after you complete the pressing.
There should be an air bleed valve on top of the bladder. Water cannot enter the bladder if this valve is closed.
Connect and turn on the water. Open the air bleed valve on top. Adjust for a small amount of pressure, indicated by increase reading on the gauge, and close the air bleed valve when the bladder is full of water (air from top valve changes to water). Adjust the pressure up as you press and taste samples after each increase in pressure. Stop when juices start to turn bitter. Adjust the pressure back down and then turn off and disconnect the supply water. Open the top right valve to allow the bladder to deflate and open the top air bleed valve if you want to drain the water out of the bladder.

An update - all the whites werepressed yesterday afternoon. Had a few Marquette &Steuben grapes that I also pressed & blended w/ some Cayuga & Vignoles to produce a Rose`. All the musts are quite floral. I'm praying that the24 hrs of cold soak do not cause any bitterness. It would be a darned shame to have to dump the wine after all this effort. Lesson #1 - check out all you're new equipment BEFORE you need to use it so you catch potential issues before they cause you delays. Thanks to all who provided suggestions to resolve my pressing dilemma.

Sorry everyone, to be misleading, Kathy + I squeezed the grapes by hand Sunday using strainer bags. The only thing that's resolved was getting fittings to attach a garden hose to the water input. No matter what order the air release valve is opened or closed, the bladder isn't filling with water.

It's time to make some phone calls for help!

Sorry to hear about that, what was the total lbs you had to do by hand/

Wade - so far, about 110 lbs. There's another 100 of reds fermenting on the skins that will need pressed in about a week.

I hope the issue is simple ignorance on my part + not equipment failure or low water pressure as you'd questioned.

When I finally have an answer, I'll post it on this thread so others have a resource, if they run into the same situation.

By the way, thanks for your compassion.

Oh man, that stinks! Have a shiny new toy and can't play with it!

I hope they can help resolve your problem or are willing to exchange it for you without a hastle. Good luck.

OK folks - we have liftoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The fix was so simple, I'm embarassed:

Cut the male adapter off of a1/2" water hose (I used an FDA approved drinking water hose).

Attached it w/ a hose clamp to the brass barbed nipple on the pressure relief valve.

Open the air release valve on the top of the spindle.

Turn on the water faucet & when water starts squirting out of the air release valve, shut it.

Pressure now builds in the bladder.

When pressing is complete, shut off the faucet, turn the red handle on the emptying tap to open, open air release valve & drain the water out of the bladder.

Here's a picture of the correct setup.
20100922_091348_BP20_Correct_Wa.jpg

YEPPERS - 6 Gallons of concord happily bubbling away; picking up 120 lbs of Lake Michigan grown Cab Sauvignon grapes next month.

congrats, but that isn't what your schematics say. According to the schematics you posted, it looks like your hose is attached to the safety valve. Will that hose clamp actually hold when you have 3 or 4 bar of pressure on the press?

Did the place you bought the press from provide you with the simple solution to the problem? I'm just curious because I've been thinking about getting a bladder press.

well that is strange, but I've just looked at Zambelli presses online, and your setup is slightly different from this posted pic:

new+winepress+04c.JPG

It seems your's is somewhat reversed.

Latest posts

Back