Bladder press, cake removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoP

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 40 liter Speidel bladder press and although the pressing process is very easy and enjoyable, when it comes to removing the cake, is a difficult and messy job
This is because the inner nylon mesh is usually wrapped around the bottom stem of the bladder and when you try to lift it with the cake attached, the cake breaks up and a lot of it falls out making a big mess
Do any of you have a solution for this problem?
Has anyone tried to use a second nylon mesh on the inside, next to the bladder, joining the other mesh at the bottom, practically making a container for the cake, which can then be easily lifted without losing anything?
Or, do you have another solution?
Thanks

I don't use the nylon mesh at all. I sanitize the outside and inside of the stainless basket, fill with must, turn of the water and press. When I'm ready to remove the pomace, which is tightly pressed to the inside wall of the cage, I remove the cage. The pomace stays intact and I put the cage in a wheelbarrow. I then use a plastic paddle (pictured below with a spoon) and peal the pomace cake off. Everything goes in the wheelbarrow and is very clean. Note: Lifting the cage over to the wheelbarrow can be a challenge as it is somewhat heavy.

31wxjRI6OvL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use the bag either. @crushday I believe you have the 80 liter so I can appreciate the weight issue. Mine is also a 40. I used the plastic tools to scrape the sides but found the sides act as a file and removes the plastic. I use a piece of 1x1 wood to scrape the sides. Once you are able to get a leading edge it normally comes off easier.

hh
I don’t use mesh bags while pressing. They are a real pain and not necessary.
Thank you all for the reply
I never tried without the mesh bag, I always thought that this may plug up the holes on the basket, but I will try next time

Back