Yuck!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerShannon

Reaction score
I opened a bottle of Pinot Grigio from my first kit last night and it is kinda sour and salty! It has aged 3 months. I tried the riesling I made maybe 2 months ago and it is the same way, but not as bad. It was a little watery though. Did I do something wrong? Does it just need to age more? I'm pretty disappointed with it.

What kits were these???? But does not sound right...sorry..
smiley19.gif

Did you add k-meta or NA-meta and at what strenght, did you add more after what was included with the kit?

I followed the kit instructions exactly, and used only what came in the kit. My reds are ok so far. Only the whites are off and I don't understand how they are both bad! They are 2 different brands even!

Leave them open overnight in the fridge and taste them again.

It was pretty good when I bottled it and it is better when its cold. The warmer it gets, the worse it gets though.

I use Iodophor. I put my bottles in the dishwaher without soap after I scrub them. Then I rinse them with iodophor.

I would switch from the iodophor to just plain k-meta for sanitizing. Just put it in the bottle and let it drain. They don't need to dry and you are set to bottle. Less chance of odd flavors and it helps prevent bacteria from getting a foothold.

I thought my pinot was too salty as well early on. I bottled it and put it in the wine refer and now I have alot of tartaric crystals on the bottom of the bottles. I opened one 2 nights ago and drank it. It actually mellowed a great deal. Almost too much. I fiddled with this kit when I noticed the "salty" taste and maybe I should have just left it alone. But, I have noticed that pinot's (commercial ones) vary greatly from one to another. In short, my suggestion is leave it to age, then see if you like it. It may have done everything it's supposed to and you just don't like this variety. Good luck.

just an update on my icky wine. I dumped a case of the Pinot thinking it was undrinkable. I'm kicking myself now! Its GOOD! It just needed a year!
I need to learn to be patient, I guess!

Oh Shannon! Hard lesson learned...Never dump anything!

If it's truly bad, (not toxic just bad tasting) it makes Great "moocher repellant" for those psuedo-friends who nag you for a bottle of your wine repeatedly. Give them the yuk wine and don't tell them it's yuk. If they say it's fantastic, try it again and see if it is, and if it's yuk still, give them more of it.

Just be sure to ask for the bottles back.

Tepe's Law: Patience, Patience, Patience!

It never seems to go out of style. I have quoted it before and will again!
smiley4.gif

After making my loquat wine I thought I would never drank it after tasting,just brought it back from New Orleans been aging,and a year later I thought It was a from my small batch of chardonnay I made,read the cork It clearly said LW which means Loquat Win.

Cheers!

Back