Your pick for a Chardonnay project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My typical process is oak powder/raisins in primary and then chips/staves in carboy. The logic I have is that I want to have the powder in primary as a somewhat sacrificial tannin during fermentation. The oak chips will give off their goodness over a longer period of time - they'll last six weeks, so I don't want to throw them out with the raisins, which are only there during fermentation.

I have an Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay kit that I'm am getting ready to start. We've made a bunch of other kits but this is our first Chardonnay so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm seriously considering splitting it into two 3 gal batches. I'm planning to do one going strictly by the instructions using the yeast provided so I have a baseline for an undoctored kit. Will try to keep the both batches at about 65-70 F.

For the other batch I'm thinking of using some D47 yeast that I have on hand. Probably won't add any oak in the primary but I have a couple of medium toast French oak spirals. Thinking about breaking one in half and adding a half when I rack it into a 3 gal carboy. I also want to do the sur lie method on it. I saw what one poster said about adding golden raisins in the primary. That sounds intriguing but I'm a little worried about doing too much to the wine. Also how long should you do the sur lie method before you let it clear and rack to another carboy? Will probably let it age in the carboy for about 9 months total from the day I start the kit, maybe longer if I get lazy :) Anybody have any experience doing something like this or any suggestions to offer?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I picked out the Chard this morning. Went to LabelPeelers and wrestled between three kits. I settled on the WE Selection Aussie Chard. It just read like something my wife would drink. Let's hope it tastes like it says...

Label Peelers also does a 10% off first order, AND, takes PayPal. Just ringing my bell all over the place. I'm likely to do raisins and dust in primary, with chips in the secondary.

Adding to the mix

just my thoughts, if you have a mid level kit costing over $80 to $100,and it's a chardonnay theN what you need to conceder , do I understand what the expected profile IS to taste like?
Most chards are hard OAKED and taste more like socking on a log and that's good for some, while on the other hand AUSSY style chards are very fruit forward or with a blend of steel fermented and oak fermented chard blended WERE cold fermentation has occurred.FRANC FORD COPPOLA'S CHARD Is a good example of that, the choice of what style will lead you to your finish of the wine .
WITH higher level kits the balance between grape juice and concentrate are well balanced or almost all juice, go easy on the better ones a cup of oak a little grapefruit zest at the finish to add a bite , let the wine you purchased do it's thing ,sometimes LESS is MORE.:HB

Last edited:
just my thoughts, if you have a mid level kit costing over $80 to $100,and it's a chardonnay theN what you need to conceder , do I understand what the expected profile IS to taste like?
Most chards are hard OAKED and taste more like socking on a log and that's good for some, while on the other hand AUSSY style chards are very fruit forward or with a blend of steel fermented and oak fermented chard blended WERE cold fermentation has occurred.FRANC FORD COPPOLA'S CHARD Is a good example of that, the choice of what style will lead you to your finish of the wine .
WITH higher level kits the balance between grape juice and concentrate are well balanced or almost all juice, go easy on the better ones a cup of oak a little grapefruit zest at the finish to add a bite , let the wine you purchased do it's thing ,sometimes LESS is MORE.:HB

Joe -

This is WE's Selection 18 L kit. Their description:

The Chardonnays of Australia continue to wow wine drinkers around the world with their unabashed celebration of opulent fruit and vanilla-oak, full-bodied flavour. Our Chardonnay is no exception. Full, supple, buttery and fruity, this golden wine delivers from start to clean, lingering finish. Ideal with chicken, fish, salads and cream-sauce pastas.

I may not monkey around with it at all. Just spit-balling right now.

We've made the Aussie chard selection kit three times. I've added oak but have gone back to just following the directions. It's one of our favorites as is. We have a green eclipse chard that early tastings suggest good things lie ahead. One last thought, the selection Viognier is also worth a try. IMHO it's a splendid alternative to chard to have on hand.

Don't follow that pic, it is misleading assuming you took it online.

Did you get your kit? What does the box say? How many liters of water you added?

The tracking info says it was delivered!! My wife is checking on it in a bit to make sure - it's probably sitting on the porch. But, let me just say this:

I ordered this wine YESTERDAY from Label Peelers in Ohio and it showed up on my doorstep TODAY. Unbelievable customer service. You guys ROCK!!!!

Don't follow that pic, it is misleading assuming you took it online.

Did you get your kit? What does the box say? How many liters of water you added?

It's an 18L kit. The line under it says Makes 23L/6 US Gallons.

I just received a Viognier 16L kit that says 16L/4.22 US Gallons and on the next line Makes 23L/6 US Gallons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back