Other LR Kits for 2013

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the 2013 Limited Release kits are now out and up for pre order from your favorite LHBS. Wondering what are peoples thoughts on the selections for this year? Anyone underwhelmed by the offerings ? The prices for this year seem to have really gone up. Quite a few of the kits are now ~$160!! :sh:sh:sh

Cellar Craft (KenRidge)

Australia (Murray River) Shiraz/Mataro (Mourvedre) ($133)

Shiraz provides rich ripe fruit flavors to this wine, along with soft velvety tannins and deep brooding color. Mataro, known as Mourvedre in many parts of the world, provides body, structure, firm tannins and earthy, spicy notes. This big, bold, beautiful wine will show soft tannins and rich flavors of jammy black fruits, sweet spice and chocolate. The wine should drink well within 4 months of bottling and cellar for up to 2 years.

California (North Coast) Grand Red - Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot/Shiraz ($160)

Cabernet Sauvignon is the backbone of this wine, providing great structure, body and depth of color. Merlot provides a silky mouth-feel, and Shiraz intensifies the rich fruit character. This full-bodied wine has velvety tannins and a rich mouth-feel with flavors of red and black berries, cherry, mocha, vanilla, Chai spice, chocolate and oak. Made with a 2.6 L Super Pack which includes over 14 lbs. of crushed grapes. The wine should drink well within 3 to 4 months of bottling and cellar for up to 2 years.

Italian Three Vineyards ($133)

White blends are becoming very trendy as people are looking for exciting new wines. Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Trebbiano, Riesling and Gewurztraminer are carefully blended together to allow each of the varietals to shine through. This refreshing, crisp, medium-bodied white wine has clean pure fruit aromas and flavours of citrus, pear, apple, tropical fruit and just a touch of floral. Drink young and fresh.

French Melange a Trois ($160)

This blend consists of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot. Merlot is the soft, charming varietal that takes the leading role in this wine, while Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot provide the structure, backbone, body and depth of colour. This classic Bordeaux-style, medium to full-bodied wine has soft tannins and aromas and flavours of red and black berries, plum, tobacco, dried herbs, leather, spice and oak. The wine should drink well within 3 to 4 months of bottling and cellar for up to 2 years.

Italian Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon ($125)

The dominant grape in the blend is one of Italy’s most famous, Sangiovese, and is supported by the international varietal, Cabernet Sauvignon. Sangiovese provides wonderful red berry and licorice notes with soft tannins and food-friendly acidity, while Cabernet Sauvignon, offers ripe black fruits such as blackberry and cassis, plus a firm backbone of tannin and deep colour. Made with a 2.6 L Super Pack which includes over 14 lbs. of crushed grapes. The wine should drink well within 3 to 4 months of bottling and cellar for up to 2 years.

RJ Spagnols RQ

Alsatian Style Riesling ($126)

Undeniably aromatic, the Alsatian style Riesling bursts with charm and character. Lead by intense aromas of citrus, green apple, grapefruit, and with slight hints of minerality on the nose, this refreshing white wine is sure to be a favorite. The back note of peach and apricot is the perfect finish to this food-friendly wine. It's refreshing palate and versatility in food-pairing make the Alsatian Style Riesling very appealing to wine enthusiasts. We suggest matching it with smoked salmon, sweet potatoes, lamb, turkey, or lemon meringue pie.

Chilean Style Cabernet Sauvignon ($158)

Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon styles are known to range from fruity and approachable for everyday occasions to big and bold wines with plenty of "wow" factor. Notes of fresh black fruit and ripe red fruit are the perfect aromatic combination for this rich red wine. Spice and hints of vanilla on the palate lend a pleasant intensity while soft tannins create a perfect finish. Pair with gouda, smoke meats, short ribs, or chocolate cake. Includes 125 g of Genuwine Dried Grape Skins. Genuwine grape skins are crushed, whole grape skins, gently dried in a proprietary process that preserves their original color and fresh vineyard flavor. Fermentation on Genuwine dried grape skins enhances the color, flavor profile and bouquet of wine. Genuwine grape skins are easy to work with and consistently provide excellent results.

Australian Style Grenache Syrah ($158)

A respected leader in combining tradition with new ideas, the Australian style Grenache Syrah is the perfect example of an innovative wine style. The fragrant blend of exotic spices, pepper, and earth notes on the nose perfectly compliments the full flavor of dark fruit on the palate. This easy-to-drink wine features hints of herbaceous notes, adding a savory edge to the finish. Pair with brie, lamb chops, or grilled red meat. Includes 125 g of Genuwine Dried Grape Skins. Genuwine grape skins are crushed, whole grape skins, gently dried in a proprietary process that preserves their original color and fresh vineyard flavor. Fermentation on Genuwine dried grape skins enhances the color, flavor profile and bouquet of wine. Genuwine grape skins are easy to work with and consistently provide excellent results.

Italian Style Sangiovese Merlot ($140)

Combining old world charm and new world flair, Sangiovese Merlot styles are blended to create wines with soft texture and are more approachable in their youth. This medium-bodied wine shows a complex bouquet of dark fruit, chocolate, and cloves. With medium tannins and a long finish, the blend delivers a perfect punch on the palate. Pair with grilled meat, poultry, pasta in tomato sauce, or beef stew.

New Zealand Style Pinot Gris ($140)

Rich, flinty, and fruity in character, New Zealand Pinot Gris are easy drinking and approachable. Known for their beautiful blend of ripe tropical fruit, all the flavors are subtle on the palate. The delightful scents of apple, pear, and pineapple on the nose create a wonderfully complex aromatic profile. The intense fruit flavors on the palate of this medium-bodied wine, complimented by light spice notes on the finish, are simply brilliant. Pair with artichoke dip, calamari, snapper, or sweet and sour pork.

Nothing there that peaks my interest with maybe the exception of the Three Vineyards.

Nothing terribly exciting to me. Maybe the sangiovese/cab. I like the 2.6 liter grape packs though.

RJS is not available in the UK. I am going to purchase all KenRidge kits except Italian Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon. Plus WE Nebiolo. I have some reservations about Shiraz/Mataro though. I am planning to do KenRidge Founders Australian Shiraz/Cabernet next month which should be very good. I tried commercial bottles of these two blends and to be honest did not taste much difference. I liked them both, but they were too similar. Anyone else has any experience with them to tell their preference?

Wookey

The KenRidge French Melange a Trois and the Italian Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon look like the best of the lot IMHO.

I'm leaning towards the Founders Sangio/Cab. And maybe the WE Nebbiolo. I think I would prefer the RJS Sang/Merlot over the Founders Samg/Cab but the "style" in the name scares me. It doesnt say Italian style it says Sangiovese style and Merlot style. It either is or isnt those veritals or not.

So whats Mosti going to do. Last year all they did was add grape packs to a few kits and call them Megs. I like the idea of new, unique or hard to source kits.

"Style" usually means the juice doesn't come from wherever you think it does........
I have always liked cellar craft because not only do they tell you what country the wine comes from but the vineyard also. Winexpert on their limited editions gives you the country and sometimes the vineyard. I really want to at least know the country the wine comes from. Style does'nt give me the information I want.. To me it's important. I think Ri Spagnols failed this year.

Last edited:
I am extremely disappointed at both the "CC" offerings this year AND packing them under Kenridge. Kenridge is very expensive and what few I have done were unimpressive. Vineco is really screwing up here and is about to lose a very loyal following of Cellar Craft.

This is the first year I have not ordered a (usually many,) LE "cellar craft" kit. I went with the MM Barolo. Last year's is still in bulk and have been told these need 4-5 years.

Sad day.

I'm with DrJay. Reluctently ordered one CCLE, the Sang/Cab blend just to give Kenridge a chance. I always wanted to try the Founders Brunello but couldnt go 200.00 buckd plus 50.00 shipping. After tasting my 30 month old MMM Cab/Sirah have changed my mind about the Megolioli and ordered 3 for 2013.

I actually like this year KenRidge LE's. I am going to order 4 kits. And surprisingly they are not so expensive in the UK. I did Founder's Brunello and it turned out great. My retailer sells Founder's series for 95 pounds + 5 pounds flat rate for delivery. The same price is for this year LE's. I asked Vineco about the LE's kits and they replied that the kits were made using CC technology and claimed they were going to be better than the Founder's series.

Wookey

I also ordered the san/ cab limited edition kit from kenridge. I sure hope they are using cc technology. I order 6 cellar craft limited releases in the last two years and realy like them.

Latest posts

Back