Yeast Sub?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoffart

Rick
Reaction score
I'm feeling like a little experiment ... I know I won't be the first to replace the yeast in a kit. Can anyone tell me their experience with this. How did it turn out? Better or worst?

I'm thinking of this kit from George.
AJME016Outback Chardonnay with Raisins

and this yeast from more wine
Dry Wine Yeast - CY3079 (8 g)DYW64
Burgundy isolate for barrel fermentation of Chardonnay. Short lag time, alcohol tolerant to 15% and optimum expression at 59 to 77 degrees F. Somewhat nutrient sensitive, it can be slow to finish in low nutrient wines if not fed correctly. But it is worth making the effort: pineapple and floral notes are quickly joined by the development of fresh butter, toasted bread, honey, hazelnut and almond when aged on the lees. This along with contributing a rich and full mouthfeel. CY3079 is lovely as is for that "classic" white Burgundy, or it can serve as a great foundation for a blend.

and of course I will get the proper yeast nutrient ...

Thoughts?

It's hard to say if something comes out better or worse for replacing a yeast as there are so many variables in wines. Give it a shot and I bet you'll enjoy the wine even more as you've put your own touch on it.

Sounds good. You will have to pay more attention than you would with EC-1118 but I am sure you know that. As long as you follow the directions and care and feeding closely you should not have any problems.

Hey PWP, been a long time since Ive seen you on here! Glad to have you back!! Rick, talk to George as he is starting to carry liquid wine yeasts which are said to do a much better job!

Latest posts

Back