yeast starter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoS

Reaction score
Why put orange or lemon juice in a yeast starter. I thought the acid would kill the yeast. Can a starter be just water, energizer, yeast, and sugar.

I don't remember coming across adding an acid to yeast starter. That doesn't mean that it's not done or beneficial, but I have read a few things addressing yeast starters and don't recall seeing citric acid. Yes, a starter can be as basic as sugar, water and yeast.

Thanks. I saw a recipe for a starter for skeeter per that called for a teaspoon of lemon juice. Wasn't sure what it was needed for.

To get a healthy yeast colony yeast NEED acid.

Try making a wine without any acid or a very low acidity. Is it possible yes I have done it once with a Pineapple wine. The result: medicine taste.

When there is no acid present yeast start producing all kinds of off flavors and off smells.

Do not do it even not in your starter.

Luc

So it sounds like the determinant is how long you will be growing the starter. Or more to the point, if your goal is rehydrating the yeast or growing a large starter. The yeast will find acid once you add it to the must. In any case, so long as you have it available you might as well put it in in order to optimize the yeast's potential.

Latest posts

Back