Malolactic Starter Smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1galbrewer

Junior
Reaction score
(Hi. Just joined. Hope this is a good sub-forum to post in).

I made a starter for my malolactic bacteria, and the smell I get from it is that of sour beer. Lactic acid is the main acid in sour beer, so that makes sense, but the few things I see around the internet are that the starter should smell like butter. Is my MLB starter smelling like lactic acid/sour beer an issue, or is it ok to pitch?

The starter was made with apple juice, water, malolactic nutrient, and a touch of baking soda to raise the ph to 4.0. The starter was boiled and cooled before pitching the bacteria. The bacteria is Viniflora 2.0 (I think). I began smelling the starter a few hours later, and it is currently on day 2. Thanks for any advice!

First, not a great deal of experience here but I’ve made 2 malo starters using apple juice et al like you sans boiling and both had very yummy buttery smells to them. Not sure if what you’re experiencing is a problem though.

(Hi. Just joined. Hope this is a good sub-forum to post in).

I made a starter for my malolactic bacteria, and the smell I get from it is that of sour beer. Lactic acid is the main acid in sour beer, so that makes sense, but the few things I see around the internet are that the starter should smell like butter. Is my MLB starter smelling like lactic acid/sour beer an issue, or is it ok to pitch?

The starter was made with apple juice, water, malolactic nutrient, and a touch of baking soda to raise the ph to 4.0. The starter was boiled and cooled before pitching the bacteria. The bacteria is Viniflora 2.0 (I think). I began smelling the starter a few hours later, and it is currently on day 2. Thanks for any advice!
I’ve never tried to smell my MLB so I have no idea on that point.

I don’t see the need to add Apple juice or the baking soda to the starter. Other than that it looks like your good to go.

Welcome to WMT!

@Ohio Bob as I mentioned I’ve not much experience with malo but your post left me wondering, what are you feeding a malo starter? Do you just use malo nutrients in the hydration water and pitch it right away?

@Ohio Bob as I mentioned I’ve not much experience with malo but your post left me wondering, what are you feeding a malo starter? Do you just use malo nutrients in the hydration water and pitch it right away?
I follow the instructions on the packets, dissolve Acti-ML and VP41 in 100ml of water. I spin using a magnetic stir plate for 15 minutes, maybe more, then add to the wine.

You got me doubting myself, so I went to my notebook of records.

Acti-ML has only 1 set of instructions.
VP41 has two options, post alcoholic fermentation and co-inoculation. When doing PAF Lallemand recommends adding some wine to the dissolved MLB and wait 18-24 hours, or 6-10 hours if the malic acid is less than 1.2 g/L.

I add when the SG gets to 1.030 or less, so perhaps that’s still in the co-inoculation category.

I’ve never tried to smell my MLB so I have no idea on that point.

I don’t see the need to add Apple juice or the baking soda to the starter. Other than that it looks like your good to go.

Welcome to WMT!
The apple juice provides malic acid for the bacteria, as well as sugar. I’m unaware if the bacteria actually requires sugar or not to produce energy. The touch of baking soda was used to raise the pH to 4.0.

Latest posts

Back