Probably killed the yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they help for more difficult musts… low pH, high OG etc. and they definitely help with starting a stuck fermentation. It’s the closest thing to fool-proof. I just got used to using them.
I fully understand why use a starter with difficult musts and stuck fermentations but suspect there is no harm with trying sprinkling first. For me, sprinkling the yeast has even worked for high acid musts like skeeter pee. That being said, it is good to know starters are there in my back pocket if I need it.

Before the yeastie beasties kick in and start doing their job, the must is on borrowed time for other microorganisms getting hungry to eat the sugar and spoil the batch. So it's good to get a robust yeast colony going as soon as possible.

With kits, I generally follow the directions and, like you, I have never had an issue. But in making Skeeter Pee and some other wines from fruit, I am much more comfortable with an active starter to give the yeast a boost in getting the job done. I don't want the must sitting there for too long without the protection of the CO2 the yeast produce.
With wines I make from juice, or if I tweak a kit with raisins or fruit, I always add some k-meta, wait 24 hours, and then add the yeast.

I have never understood why it is necessary to make a starter. Does it affect favor or the quality of the wine? I've been making several cheap kit wines (with tweaks) and wines from frozen juices for 10 years, several batches a year. I have never made a starter. I always just sprinkle the yeast on top of the must, making sure the must is above 70 degrees (a mix of cold and hot tap water) and left it alone. It has never taken longer than a maximum of about 6 hours to get going and I usually see some action in just a couple of hours.
Rehydrating can potentially be very stressful on yeast. A starter makes their activation a little easier. Plus, you'll know the yeast are active.
I've also learned that oxygen is extremely important during the first 10-20 hours. They use it to make lipids for strengthening cell walls which will help later in a high ethanol environment. I always shake the crap out of my starter just before adding the yeast, hoping to add more oxygen. Does it help? I don't know...it's what I do.

Rehydrating can potentially be very stressful on yeast. A starter makes their activation a little easier. Plus, you'll know the yeast are active.
I've also learned that oxygen is extremely important during the first 10-20 hours. They use it to make lipids for strengthening cell walls which will help later in a high ethanol environment. I always shake the crap out of my starter just before adding the yeast, hoping to add more oxygen. Does it help? I don't know...it's what I do.
I don't know if what I'm doing is "right" either. As you said, it's just what I do. Regarding O2, I think that's why floating the yeast on top of the must is so effective. I figure the highest O2 concentration is at the surface of the must. Like you, I stir well after things have started. I'm basically lazy.

I don't know if what I'm doing is "right" either. As you said, it's just what I do. Regarding O2, I think that's why floating the yeast on top of the must is so effective. I figure the highest O2 concentration is at the surface of the must. Like you, I stir well after things have started. I'm basically lazy.
Commercial yeast strains are chosen for many qualities, including rapid reproduction and stomping out unwanted competition. Creating a starter provides a much better environment for the initial reproduction, and as Dave said, you know very quickly if your yeast is viable.

Starters may not seem necessary until that first problem ferment is encountered. A starter reduces risk.

Latest posts

Back