Yeast smell in the bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas3019

Reaction score
Has anyone had this happen where the finished wine smells yeasty out of the bottle? I made a bucket of viognier last fall. Bottled it after about 6 months and now just cracked open a bottle to taste test vs. a commercial wine. My wine has a yeasty smell to it. The flavor is fine but the smell throws me off. I don't filter my wine but racked it a couple times and no sediment was dropping when I bottled it. Would filtering help with this smell?

I don't filter my wines and I never had this issue. What was the sg, fg, did you test for acid, ph?

It could be reductive , does splash decanting help?
Tell us about your winemaking process step by step .

Well, started with the viognier juice on 9/15/13. OG was 1.09, TA was 0.38% (using color change test kit), ph was 3.2ish...all I had at the time was strips. I used D47 yeast. Racked to secondary at 1.015 on 9/21/13 and again at FG 0.994 on 9/24/13 (added k-meta here too).

I reracked on 12/29/13 with another 1/4 tsp k-meta. On 3/1/14 I reracked again, added some k-meta and sorbate and sweetened slightly with simple syrup. Took a TA reading (this time with a ph meter) and it was 0.68%. ph was 3.74. Bottled on 3/11/14. Finally just cracked a bottle today.

Whew...glad I keep notes! Nothing really seemed to go wrong with this. I was pretty happy at bottling. But the smell compared to commercial is just off. This was my first juice bucket so it might just be first-timer issues.

d47 can make sulfur smells if it does not have the proper nutrition. I wonder if you are mistaking the " yeasty smell" for a sulfur smell. What kind of nutrient plan did you follow?

It's very possible that you pulled some sediment over--yeast cells--when you racked the wine. Some people try to get every bit of wine and you can often get a tad bit of sediment pull-over when you do that.

I know you said the wine was clear. And that you read where a white can be bottled in 6 months. But in the real world, you should wait until the 9 month mark, at least. We never bottle anything until 1 year--even whites.

Ahh..either of those are possible. I didn't really understand the impact nutrient played so at that time I just used some DAP at the beginning and nothing else.

And as for bottling I'm just anxious because I just started about a year ago so trying to build up some reserves. I'll definitely take that to heart for the chilean juice I'm getting next week. But some of my earliest wines ended up having floaties in them after awhile so you're probably right about transferring over.

They're these dark red flakes in my niagara concord blend. Once I move a bottle they just kick up a bit and never seem to settle back down. That was one of my very first wines and I'm pretty sure I did a lot of things wrong with it, including bottling really early.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Yeah, sounds like you managed to bottle up some sediment. Nothing too big to worry about, just a bit unpleasant. If you really care about it you could keep the bottle in the fridge for a few days before serving and decant it carefully then let it warm back up.

Latest posts

Back